Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

Outside of opening weekend, I hunt mostly by myself. But, opening weekend normally involves a bigger family group. It always bothers me when someone turns a bird to mush by not letting it get out a bit, especially if there are less experienced hunters in the group who are looking to shoot their first bird. I think my sister went 10 years before she finally shot a bird that she knew was "hers".
I shot a couple of birds for a kid,and told him he got them, but it was years before he got one on his own.He got a few grouse on his own at 14.

People that yell "HEN!" when hunting. Noise tips off other birds to your presence so stop yelling. We all know what the difference is between a rooster and a hen.

Dogs that don't obey. They get way too far ahead of the guns, their owners are constantly yelling, and they chew birds into a pulp. And then when you tell them that their dog is ruining the hunt, they get upset.

Lately, lack of rain has really been starting to bother me too. We get a mountain of snow in the winter and then it goes directly to bone dry parched summer.
In montani,nobody yells hen.Thats bs.

It’s funny how certain states get bad reputations. In Kansas for me it was always the hordes of Texas guys in their King Ranch trucks and ten hole dog trailers. Funny thing was the western Kansas crowd hated us rich eastern Kansas liberals more 😂. I have had more than a couple SD farmers say we could hunt as long as we weren’t from Wisconsin.
I can't stand dog trailers! Bonehead material.

Not sure who the "certain Person" is, but that would make the most sense. Otherwise you got a jew buddy who holds off shooting just cuz he doesnt want to chip in a buck. The great one said you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Roosters matter, not shotgun shells.
I can't stand tight,thrifty people.You spend money freely when hunting.

As I read through this thread I have learned that I am an ***hole for the following reasons! :ROFLMAO: I am really glad this thread is out here because it does make a person think about their "normal" actions/routines that may be causing others skin to crawl and until now, I didn't know it was so taboo. Here is my list of offenses, followed by my pet peeves!
1) I talk when walking in a line with friends and family that we only see on opening weekend. (I am not sure how much I agree with less talk equating to more birds. We have always been noisy, and we have always had birds flush out in front of us....we have also had more than I can count that flush in range or worse yet, BEHIND us! I will admit, I do have my best luck hunting alone, with my dog, in silence, so there may be something to this also.)
2) Reverse bird hogging - Man, this makes me feel terrible. I apologize to anyone that by me not taking birds home has offended or put into an uncomfortable possession limit predicament. I will always help clean birds to meet transportation standards, provide ziplock packaging and gather feathers for their wives or kids to have when they get home, but I never take birds when hunting with groups...especially if they are from out of town. I hunt in my backyard anytime I want, I struggle eating my possessions. Before today, I thought this was a curtesy, but I now know that more of discussion should be had instead of "refusing" to take birds.

Pet Peeves - I feel so much better after getting these off my chest!!
1) Hunting without having the safety on. They say they hate having it on, because they forget to take it off or thinks it makes them "quicker"
2) When people constantly are yelling at their dogs when hunting in a group. Have control of you dog or leave it in the truck.
3) Line sprinters ... Come on man! Look around. I think it is always better to walk to slow than 2 fast, besides the fact that you are putting your life in danger. I prefer to walk and stop in heavy cover....I struggle convincing people that this IS effective.

I am sure there are others!

Happy hunting, and again, sorry that I am/was an ***hole!
We always talk.We shoot a lot. We drink beer and whiskey. We are not boyscouts,boys outside, we are legal and ethical. We don't play grab ass in the camper.

As I read through this thread I have learned that I am an ***hole for the following reasons! :ROFLMAO: I am really glad this thread is out here because it does make a person think about their "normal" actions/routines that may be causing others skin to crawl and until now, I didn't know it was so taboo. Here is my list of offenses, followed by my pet peeves!
1) I talk when walking in a line with friends and family that we only see on opening weekend. (I am not sure how much I agree with less talk equating to more birds. We have always been noisy, and we have always had birds flush out in front of us....we have also had more than I can count that flush in range or worse yet, BEHIND us! I will admit, I do have my best luck hunting alone, with my dog, in silence, so there may be something to this also.)
2) Reverse bird hogging - Man, this makes me feel terrible. I apologize to anyone that by me not taking birds home has offended or put into an uncomfortable possession limit predicament. I will always help clean birds to meet transportation standards, provide ziplock packaging and gather feathers for their wives or kids to have when they get home, but I never take birds when hunting with groups...especially if they are from out of town. I hunt in my backyard anytime I want, I struggle eating my possessions. Before today, I thought this was a curtesy, but I now know that more of discussion should be had instead of "refusing" to take birds.

Pet Peeves - I feel so much better after getting these off my chest!!
1) Hunting without having the safety on. They say they hate having it on, because they forget to take it off or thinks it makes them "quicker"
2) When people constantly are yelling at their dogs when hunting in a group. Have control of you dog or leave it in the truck.
3) Line sprinters ... Come on man! Look around. I think it is always better to walk to slow than 2 fast, besides the fact that you are putting your life in danger. I prefer to walk and stop in heavy cover....I struggle convincing people that this IS effective.

I am sure there are others!

Happy hunting, and again, sorry that I am/was an ***hole!
"3) Line sprinters ... Come on man! Look around. I think it is always better to walk to slow than 2 fast, besides the fact that you are putting your life in danger. I prefer to walk and stop in heavy cover....I struggle convincing people that this IS effective."

My buddies and I scold each other in good humor when someone gets too fast. The message is usually received but it happens to me when I have little confidence in a spot or field I guess. And, it's hard to walk slow sometimes when when you know there may be a good flush at the end.

We have hunted with really good dogs and we have hunted with really bad dogs. The last few years we have hunted without and have had just as big a blast as we did with dogs. To each his own. It's hunting and I aint in the office either way.

Anyone that wants to buy a hunting license and go hunting can do so provided they follow the game laws set forth for the target they are pursuing.

We have hunted with really good dogs and we have hunted with really bad dogs. The last few years we have hunted without and have had just as big a blast as we did with dogs. To each his own. It's hunting and I aint in the office either way.
Thumbs down. Get a dog.Get a life.

Not sure if anyone was on Bowsite about a decade ago but there was another well known "master" on there back then. Always making a contribution. Maybe a cousin? Or maybe you moved up north? Turkeybowmaster was the handle I believe....

Not sure if anyone was on Bowsite about a decade ago but there was another well known "master" on there back then. Always making a contribution. Maybe a cousin? Or maybe you moved up north? Turkeybowmaster was the handle I believe....
Lol.I respect opinions, but I'm not condoning not owning a dog, I'm sorry but that's just plain wrong imo.

We always talk.We shoot a lot. We drink beer and whiskey. We are not boyscouts,boys outside, we are legal and ethical. We don't play grab ass in the camper.
Beer?? Whiskey?? Conversation?? Only allow sleeping hole-to-hole in a camper?? Where do I send my application to join your hunt party? ;) I am only interested if the whiskey is made from corn in Kentucky! I don't want any of that Canadian BS!

Back