Let's Bitch (Can't Hunt)

Smasher, I understand your thought process for sure. But actually it is a slur against Jewish people

yep, it is, although it is not Smasher's intent as he is using the term idiomatically.

Growing up we always called the dudes that were cheap jews. or if your at a sale and try to get a lower price its called jewing someone down on price. It don't have anything to due with where they go to church its just an expression.

If you guys are offended I am sorry.

Thank you for clarifying. I'm not Jewish so it doesn't personally offend me. I thought maybe it was a typo. There's a lot of other slang terms we could put in there instead and it would probably not go very well.

Well, IMO it is hunting but thanks for playing. I guess if sitting in a deer stand, duck or goose blind is considered "hunting" then 10 people walking a corn field can be.
I agree, it is hunting. I think he tends to exaggerate a little in that it doesn't appeal to his "style" of hunting.

Personally, its not for me either. I prefer to hunt solo or with 1 other person. But the habitat I'm hunting can't handle bigger groups anyways. I don't even know 10 other pheasant hunters.

I agree, it is hunting. I think he tends to exaggerate a little in that it doesn't appeal to his "style" of hunting.

Personally, its not for me either. I prefer to hunt solo or with 1 other person. But the habitat I'm hunting can't handle bigger groups anyways. I don't even know 10 other pheasant hunters.
Understood. I deer, turkey, and coyote hunt solo - as to be expected. I quail hunted many years solo or with one other person. The pheasant hunts we've been doing for 26 seasons has been 7 to 8 people that all grew up together here in Georgia, plus a couple of SD locals. For us it's more about the fellowship and being outdoors. I have gone back later in the season and hunted solo too. It's all hunting but I politely request that fellow hunters do not slight or try to define what I call hunting. I read and post here to learn of and share experiences in a light hearted way and I want to keep it that way. Thank you for your explanation. Now I'll get back to pheasant hunting.

The pheasant hunts we've been doing for 26 seasons has been 7 to 8 people
That's exactly what I did for 27 years deer hunting. We'd meet at a lodge in northern MN for 3 days to deer hunt together, drink beer, and play cards. We all went to our own deer stands to hunt, but every morning and evening we'd have a big meal together.

Unfortunately, that tradition died off a few years ago because some of the old timers aren't able to do it anymore and the pandemic finished it off completely. Plus we have a few of the younger generation that joined and they are not committed at all. I enjoyed it while it lasted though. It was started by my Great Grandfather and his friends in the 1950's. So I completely understand the perks that comes with a larger group. The only difference in your situation is that you're actually literally hunting together.

There's a fair amount of pheasant hunters that would tend to think that bird hunting without a dog really isn't "hunting" either but that's another topic. Not everyone is able to own and take care of a dog. That doesn't mean they can't hunt. I hunted for years without a dog because I rented a duplex that did not permit one, and I traveled for work a lot. I still harvested roosters every fall.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I did for 27 years deer hunting. We'd meet at a lodge in northern MN for 3 days to deer hunt together, drink beer, and play cards. We all went to our own deer stands to hunt, but every morning and evening we'd have a big meal together.

Unfortunately, that tradition died off a few years ago because some of the old timers aren't able to do it anymore and the pandemic finished it off completely. Plus we have a few of the younger generation that joined and they are not committed at all. I enjoyed it while it lasted though. It was started by my Great Grandfather and his friends in the 1950's. So I completely understand the perks that comes with a larger group. The only difference in your situation is that you're actually literally hunting together.

There's a fair amount of pheasant hunters that would tend to think that bird hunting without a dog really isn't "hunting" either but that's another topic. Not everyone is able to own and take care of a dog. That doesn't mean they can't hunt. I hunted for years without a dog because rented a duplex that did not permit one, and I traveled for work a lot. I still harvested roosters every fall.
Oh we hunt with dogs but it would be hunting even without - to me anyway.

There's a fair amount of pheasant hunters that would tend to think that bird hunting without a dog really isn't "hunting" either but that's another topic. Not everyone is able to own and take care of a dog. That doesn't mean they can't hunt. I hunted for years without a dog because I rented a duplex that did not permit one, and I traveled for work a lot. I still harvested roosters every fall.
Nope.Hunting without dog is a thumbs down.

Nope.Hunting without dog is a thumbs down.
Not everyone can take care of a dog. That doesn't mean they can't hunt. If you buy a license, you can hunt. A dog is a sizable commitment 365 days/year.

I know for a fact that I harvested more roosters than the average hunter without a dog. And I've hunted with some really poorly trained dogs too that ruined the hunt. We would have been much better off without those hell hounds. Everyone thinks that their dog is the best hunter out there. Until you actually hunt with them and see otherwise.

Not everyone can take care of a dog. That doesn't mean they can't hunt. If you buy a license, you can hunt. A dog is a sizable commitment 365 days/year.

I know for a fact that I harvested more roosters than the average hunter without a dog. And I've hunted with some really poorly trained dogs too that ruined the hunt. We would have been much better off without those hell hounds. Everyone thinks that their dog is the best hunter out there. Until you actually hunt with them and see otherwise.
To me, it's all about obedience or handling. I don't care if your dog can hunt? But you need to be able to control it and that starts when they first come home. That should happen before they ever go hunting

To me, it's all about obedience or handling. I don't care if your dog can hunt? But you need to be able to control it and that starts when they first come home. That should happen before they ever go hunting
I agree, obedience and restraint is required. Otherwise they just run loose in the field and that gets old quick.

As I read through this thread I have learned that I am an ***hole for the following reasons! :ROFLMAO: I am really glad this thread is out here because it does make a person think about their "normal" actions/routines that may be causing others skin to crawl and until now, I didn't know it was so taboo. Here is my list of offenses, followed by my pet peeves!
1) I talk when walking in a line with friends and family that we only see on opening weekend. (I am not sure how much I agree with less talk equating to more birds. We have always been noisy, and we have always had birds flush out in front of us....we have also had more than I can count that flush in range or worse yet, BEHIND us! I will admit, I do have my best luck hunting alone, with my dog, in silence, so there may be something to this also.)
2) Reverse bird hogging - Man, this makes me feel terrible. I apologize to anyone that by me not taking birds home has offended or put into an uncomfortable possession limit predicament. I will always help clean birds to meet transportation standards, provide ziplock packaging and gather feathers for their wives or kids to have when they get home, but I never take birds when hunting with groups...especially if they are from out of town. I hunt in my backyard anytime I want, I struggle eating my possessions. Before today, I thought this was a curtesy, but I now know that more of discussion should be had instead of "refusing" to take birds.

Pet Peeves - I feel so much better after getting these off my chest!!
1) Hunting without having the safety on. They say they hate having it on, because they forget to take it off or thinks it makes them "quicker"
2) When people constantly are yelling at their dogs when hunting in a group. Have control of you dog or leave it in the truck.
3) Line sprinters ... Come on man! Look around. I think it is always better to walk to slow than 2 fast, besides the fact that you are putting your life in danger. I prefer to walk and stop in heavy cover....I struggle convincing people that this IS effective.

I am sure there are others!

Happy hunting, and again, sorry that I am/was an ***hole!

As I read through this thread I have learned that I am an ***hole for the following reasons! :ROFLMAO: I am really glad this thread is out here because it does make a person think about their "normal" actions/routines that may be causing others skin to crawl and until now, I didn't know it was so taboo. Here is my list of offenses, followed by my pet peeves!
1) I talk when walking in a line with friends and family that we only see on opening weekend. (I am not sure how much I agree with less talk equating to more birds. We have always been noisy, and we have always had birds flush out in front of us....we have also had more than I can count that flush in range or worse yet, BEHIND us! I will admit, I do have my best luck hunting alone, with my dog, in silence, so there may be something to this also.)
2) Reverse bird hogging - Man, this makes me feel terrible. I apologize to anyone that by me not taking birds home has offended or put into an uncomfortable possession limit predicament. I will always help clean birds to meet transportation standards, provide ziplock packaging and gather feathers for their wives or kids to have when they get home, but I never take birds when hunting with groups...especially if they are from out of town. I hunt in my backyard anytime I want, I struggle eating my possessions. Before today, I thought this was a curtesy, but I now know that more of discussion should be had instead of "refusing" to take birds.

Pet Peeves - I feel so much better after getting these off my chest!!
1) Hunting without having the safety on. They say they hate having it on, because they forget to take it off or thinks it makes them "quicker"
2) When people constantly are yelling at their dogs when hunting in a group. Have control of you dog or leave it in the truck.
3) Line sprinters ... Come on man! Look around. I think it is always better to walk to slow than 2 fast, besides the fact that you are putting your life in danger. I prefer to walk and stop in heavy cover....I struggle convincing people that this IS effective.

I am sure there are others!

Happy hunting, and again, sorry that I am/was an ***hole!
It's been a great thread honestly.

One of the reasons I like upland hunting is because you can talk while hunting and you don't mess up an entire days hunt by being too loud at the wrong time like with big game. But it's certainly true that the birds get more spooked when you are overly loud. I find it's far more important in the late season and on overly pressured birds. Just need to make sure you are hunting with people who are equally casual or intense about the hunting. And if you don't, then splitting off every so often helps wonders with keeping the peace.

Once a rooster gets up and shots are fired....talking probably doesn't matter as much? But in my mind when hunting wild bird on public land, you really need to be as stealth as possible. It's def a pet peave of mine when guys are walking thru good cover sounding like a carnival barker.

Part of the public land or heavily hunted areas probably demand more stealth behavior. I know our hotspots around here, we use extreme caution to keep the noise down when we jump out. However in a large field walking a quarter or a half mile next to a friend or cousin that you have not seen for a long time, it's really hard not to visit. Many times they are not in the same vehicle as you or staying in the same house so it's the only time we have to catch up.

I learned so much from this thread. Keep up the good topics fellas!

I'm not condoning anything without a dog.Thats bull shit.

It's been a great thread honestly.

One of the reasons I like upland hunting is because you can talk while hunting and you don't mess up an entire days hunt by being too loud at the wrong time like with big game. But it's certainly true that the birds get more spooked when you are overly loud. I find it's far more important in the late season and on overly pressured birds. Just need to make sure you are hunting with people who are equally casual or intense about the hunting. And if you don't, then splitting off every so often helps wonders with keeping the peace.
I have to separate from my cousin. He actually shot me one time.

Back