KU vs K-State

Completely agree. At one point, it seemed like they were scared of him and just did not even try to do anything with him. Avoidence seemed to be the mantra of the day.

Another thing that I would have liked to see them do to negate some of his effectiveness was to get out and run more.

I don't think k-state wants to run with ku. Withey travels the floor well for a big man, the score would have been worse. K-state picked a bad time to play ku, they would have been better off if they had been on a three game winning streak instead of a three game loser. Tharpes play changed the game. As much as I love coach Self, Tharpe should have played point from day one. We would probably have 5 or 6 losses, instead of 3, but Tharpe would be more mature. Johnson is not a point, he is a two guard that scores. It has not been good for him, or his future prospects NBA. I do have respect for that kid. He has handled his role, and criticism, like a champ.

I don't think k-state wants to run with ku. Withey travels the floor well for a big man, the score would have been worse. K-state picked a bad time to play ku, they would have been better off if they had been on a three game winning streak instead of a three game loser. Tharpes play changed the game. As much as I love coach Self, Tharpe should have played point from day one. We would probably have 5 or 6 losses, instead of 3, but Tharpe would be more mature. Johnson is not a point, he is a two guard that scores. It has not been good for him, or his future prospects NBA. I do have respect for that kid. He has handled his role, and criticism, like a champ.

I don't think that the score would have been any worse.
Many times I watched KSU walk the ball up the court and find that they couldn't do anything with it. Withey (as someone said) was able to get himself established and set up in the lane.
They were able to score a bit in transition a little bit.
Withey may run well for a big man, but not well enough to run with the smaller line up that KSU had, and not well enough to run ahead and establish himself in the lane.
I agree that they ran into KU at a bad time. I was hoping like hell KU woulda won that OU game.

5 of the last 50 games? In the Big 12, you need to recruit to beat KU, not just win the conference. Michigan and Ohio St recruit to beat each other. Duke and North Carolina the same. You know what they do, sag down the middle, with bigs, cutters with moving screens, who take threes, run when they can. Take it away.

5 of the last 50 games? In the Big 12, you need to recruit to beat KU, not just win the conference. Michigan and Ohio St recruit to beat each other. Duke and North Carolina the same. You know what they do, sag down the middle, with bigs, cutters with moving screens, who take threes, run when they can. Take it away.

Kstate is an ag school in Manahattan Kansas. They will never attract the same recruits at a Michigan or Ohio State. Or KU for that matter. If your a farmer Kstate makes since but not for a McDonalds all american.

KU is over close to Kansas City, it is the Dr and Lawyer school.

So did you see the K-State - Baylor score? Cats by 20 points.
Wish they would have shot the ball like that against KU. :(

Did you see what KU did to Texas? How does Rick Barnes still have a job there? He gets recruits along the lines of what KU gets. He has three all-americans on his team now. They always underachieve. He is a good recruiter but a poor coach. We will see if KU is over the funk when they go to okie state on wed. That game will tell a bunch about KU's fortunes this year.

It happens all the time. But its generally most noticable in Allen Field House.
We are used to it. :D

Really? It was a bad call. There were also a couple blocking calls against Withey and Young earlier that were jokes. Easy to call a game in slow motion:D That was the best performance by a player in college basketball this year. Johnson decided KU was winning and he made it happen. The two throws at the end of regulation were clutch. People can cry about the call, but bottom line would you want a big 12 championship when you can't beat KU? I loved watching ISU kids crying in the stands it was great. ISU made 17 threes and lost by 12. I loved the slam at the end. I only wish he would have done a 360.

They were talking about it on the local radio, sounds like it was not a "normal" mistake. But I did not see it.

The Cat had two chances to beat KU. They played really bad both games and didn't deserve to win.

I saw the game. I am happy that Missouri is in the SEC, there we are not good, have the worst officials in the game, that universally screw everybody equally. Basically, get KU out of Allen, away from the scheduling protectors at the NCAA, Bucknell, Northern Iowa, and Bradley are the result.

I saw on the news that the B12 issued an apology to Iowa State and said that the officiating was bad. So maybe Iowa State's gripe is legit. As a KSU fan, I don't have a dog in this fight though... I have no beef with KU, other than I want my team to beat them.:D

I agree with Carptom that KSU should beat KU head-to-head before we worry too much about what happens on the rest of KU's schedule.

BUT, if both teams end the season with the same record, I will not be bashful about declaring KSU the co-champ of the B12. OU got to do it in football, and KSU beat them head-to-head at their house!

A little early to predict the finish though... KSU has two tough road games left against talented teams that have a lot to prove.:eek:

I saw the game. I am happy that Missouri is in the SEC, there we are not good, have the worst officials in the game, that universally screw everybody equally. Basically, get KU out of Allen, away from the scheduling protectors at the NCAA, Bucknell, Northern Iowa, and Bradley are the result.

Really? How many times has Mizzou won a championship? Been to a final four? Wait for it. Wait for it. The number escapes me. It is a big, fat.................0 That's why I have a poster of Tyus Edney in my TV room:D. I don't know what scheduling protectors you speak of but KU consistently has a top 15 strength of schedule if not better.

Ps. Ku RPI is 5
K-state 25
Mizzou 38

Looks like somebody ate some cupcakes

Last edited:
I won't feel bad about sharing the b12 title if we get that fortunate, at all. Ku loves to talk about their 8 titles in a row, 3 of them were shared. And of the 3 they share, they were the no. 2 seed in the tourney all 3 times. They put the trophies in the case just the same.

The money was on KU as the line went from -1 to -2.5. Me thinks that had something to do with it, lol. In all seriousness, how do you call a foul on a loose ball a few seconds after missing that blantant charge? You can overcome bad calls early as there is plenty of game to play but you can't overcome them late in the game. I have to give it to Johnson though, he went off big time in OT and just decided the game himself. Those were two monster games ISU and KU played. I hope for a third in the NCAA tourney as I don't get too pumped up about the big 12 tourney.

Really? It was a bad call. There were also a couple blocking calls against Withey and Young earlier that were jokes. Easy to call a game in slow motion:D That was the best performance by a player in college basketball this year. Johnson decided KU was winning and he made it happen. The two throws at the end of regulation were clutch. People can cry about the call, but bottom line would you want a big 12 championship when you can't beat KU? I loved watching ISU kids crying in the stands it was great. ISU made 17 threes and lost by 12. I loved the slam at the end. I only wish he would have done a 360.

The entire officiating was a joke. What's the absolute worst was the foul being "given" to Young when he was so far away from the foul. It simply was a breakdown of communication in the referees. I'm not a KU hater, I'm not an ISU fan, but I was getting angry at the poor job that they were doing. The loose ball foul was inappropriate at best. I could even take the no call on the charge (which it was, a charge) but those are difficult. But the Withey issue? Terrible. Loose ball foul when both players are trying for the ball? Ridiculous.

Johnson was simply awesome. Too bad his performance was marred by a classless, meaningless dunk at the end of the game. You know it was classless when he apologizes afterwards, though I doubt it was sincere.

As far as the kid crying, (the young kid) well, I liked it as well. Although, probably not for the same reason as you, as it seems you liked it simply because a kid was crying.

I liked it because the kid cared enough about the outcome of the game... That there are some things still pure. (I believe he was Hioberg's son...)

I really don't care who wins the Big 12. It's not as meaningful as getting a higher seed for the tournament, is it?

Really? How many times has Mizzou won a championship? Been to a final four? Wait for it. Wait for it. The number escapes me. It is a big, fat.................0 That's why I have a poster of Tyus Edney in my TV room:D. I don't know what scheduling protectors you speak of but KU consistently has a top 15 strength of schedule if not better.

Ps. Ku RPI is 5
K-state 25
Mizzou 38

Looks like somebody ate some cupcakes

Let's quess an other KU fan who never went there? KU destroyed there "non income" sports so they can play with the big boys, seems like they forgot football! You could agree to play us and prove it out? But you passed on that. By the way, I said, "we are not good", but we'd have great change of whipping the Jayhawk's at the Sprint Center, like we did frequently. I have my "killer Bee tee shirts handy.

Last edited:
Back