Zone Q2 Early Season Quail Hunt

Pheasant Phill

I headed out to Rector Reservoir and Putah Creek in Napa and Solana counties this weekend for my first upland hunt since moving here to California. Got one point out of my GSP Charlie and my 4 month hold Vizsla Bella learned the ropes of running up and down some pretty steep terrain. The country I was hunting seemed more like Grouse terrain rather than Quail terrain from what I am use to up in Washington State. Anybody know of any good places in Zone Q2 for early season where I might have better luck. I only saw 2 other hunters out and they were huffing and puffing as well. Wondering if every area is as rough as Rector and Putah in Q2.

Dfg used to have a booklet called "Quail hunting California". In the back it listed all public lands in California and what kind and how many quail you could expect to encounter. Not sure if they still have it but its a good resource.

Thanks. I found a copy of it on line. What it said about Putah Creek is....
"COMMENTS: Quail abundance is low to moderate and highly variable. The quail are usually difficult to hunt because of the steep terrain and heavy cover." I should have read this before trying there. :)

From what I understand there are some ruffs up there in the north west too. I've been wanting to get up there for some early valleys and a crack at a ruffie, just haven't made it yet.

Hey QH, you ever hunted east of yosemite? We're staying near Oakhurst for a few days. Friend was thinking Hornitos. Never been out that way. Any help is appreciated.

Hey QH, you ever hunted east of yosemite? We're staying near Oakhurst for a few days. Friend was thinking Hornitos. Never been out that way. Any help is appreciated.

C_d, hornitos would be closer to mariposa. Around there you could hunt hunters point on lake McClure or a little farther away, Anderson flat can be good. If your going to be closer to Oakhurst all the low elevation forest around bass lake can be good.

C_d, hornitos would be closer to mariposa. Around there you could hunt hunters point on lake McClure or a little farther away, Anderson flat can be good. If your going to be closer to Oakhurst all the low elevation forest around bass lake can be good.

thanks buddy. That's very helpful. We can drive up to an hour or two if need be, but obviously closer for success would be preferred. I'll grab BLM maps for those areas and cross our fingers we have some luck. we'll be there in a couple weeks. thanks again!:cheers:

BLM maps arrived! thanks again for the tips. will be working on a plan of attack as best i can.

Back