Youth Pheasant Gun

sloth5202

This is a long ways off but I've been thinking a lot about what gun I want to get my son started on for trap shooting, pheasant and grouse hunting. My question is if you were introducing a young kid into hunting what gun would you pick right now? I wouldn't want to freak my wife out on cost so under $1k would be preferable.... anything over that and the warden has to sign-off on the invoice (sorry for the lame accounting joke us bean counters have an odd sense of humor).

Webley and Scott has a youth model O/U that comes with two stocks, for when they out grow the youth version. I think it's their 900 series. Right at that price range. Even better if you think about it as a buy one get one free

A gas operated auto has the least amount of "kick." Coupled with a special recoil pad, might be a good combination.

Over/under kick the most...

Cool!

I forgot to add that I'd be looking at semi's mostly just because they generally reduce the amount of kick. I do like the additional safety an O/U affords with the break action.... kids are kids after all and we can drill into them gun safety all we want but sometimes it's nice to have that additional piece of mind:)

I think a 28ga Franchi 48al would be a great gun for a youth. Decently cheap, light, reliable and an all around great load.

Looks like Franchi has a "short stock" 20ga. My brother shoots a 48al, great gun.

Last edited:
SX3 field compact or the Franchi Affinity compact youth with LOP 12 to 13 3/8".

Benelli Montefeltro with the youth and adult stock. Gonna be right at or just a little over your self imposed money number but a gun that he can grow in to and quite honestly use for the next 60 years. Once he outgrows the youth stock you can sell it to buy him some more shells. Another option is youth model 1187. I went that route with my daughter because she will never need a fullsize stock. Good luck and let us know what you end up deciding on.

I bought a Stoeger youth condor O/U for my oldest son about 4 years ago when he was 11. It has worked well for him and now his twin brothers that are 10 will be using it next year. The run about $450 now. Worth a look, pretty good value for the money. Of course 4 years ago we got lucky and picked it up for $250 from Dicks on sale and with a discount coupon.

I like the Benelli route. I really don't have an issue when it comes to spending the money because I would definitely use the gun grouse hunting with the adult stock:) I'm thinking I might add a 28 o/u just because it would be fun for me to shoot too and would be great for a very early gun. Any body have any suggestions on that?

I like the Benelli route. I really don't have an issue when it comes to spending the money because I would definitely use the gun grouse hunting with the adult stock:) I'm thinking I might add a 28 o/u just because it would be fun for me to shoot too and would be great for a very early gun. Any body have any suggestions on that?

Cz's are nice guns for the money. I'd take one of these in a heart beat.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-canvasback-gold-28-28-5-choke-tubes/

Browning Silver Micro Midas. I don't know anything about them, but remember seeing them on the Browing web site. I'm sure they would be around your price.

If you can get the warden to sign off. Benelli now makes the M2 in a compact version. And as mentioned by others the Monefeltro.

I've been through this process a number of times, having six kids. I'm an advocate of a break-action gun for new shooters, for the obvious safety reasons. It's easy to break open when crossing fences, or at the end of a field, versus checking the chamber of a pump or semi-auto. For my second-to-last daughter, I picked up a European American Armory 20-gauge side-by-side, and am very happy with it. Beautiful wood, a smooth action, and very light weight. I used it myself in a few NSTRA trials and some prairie grouse hunts, and was impressed with it. Recoil hasn't been an issue. Picked it up new for $400 a few years ago, and will pick up another one for my youngest girl when she's of age. EAA also makes similar-priced o/u's - I didn't have a side-by-side in my gun safe, so I went that route last time. Probably go with an o/u next.

I've been through this process a number of times, having six kids. I'm an advocate of a break-action gun for new shooters, for the obvious safety reasons. It's easy to break open when crossing fences, or at the end of a field, versus checking the chamber of a pump or semi-auto. For my second-to-last daughter, I picked up a European American Armory 20-gauge side-by-side, and am very happy with it. Beautiful wood, a smooth action, and very light weight. I used it myself in a few NSTRA trials and some prairie grouse hunts, and was impressed with it. Recoil hasn't been an issue. Picked it up new for $400 a few years ago, and will pick up another one for my youngest girl when she's of age. EAA also makes similar-priced o/u's - I didn't have a side-by-side in my gun safe, so I went that route last time. Probably go with an o/u next.

I think break action guns are great for youth as long as the gun isn't a break action single shot with a hammer. I went with a semi auto 20ga for my daughter after doing the research. Apparently a single shot break action shotgun with a hammer can become inadvertantly cocked by a child.

A first gun should be a pump in my opinion.

I agree. I started my son with a Rem 870 at 8yrs old. Started with 1 shell at a time to 2 to 3. It just seemed to slow everything down a bit vs. having the gun "live" again by just pulling the trigger.

He shot a lot of holes in the sky plus some ducks with it before moving to a BPS 12ga when he was 11....

A first gun should be a pump in my opinion.

+2 ... It will not give another opportunity to fire a shot after the first one without thinking to put another in the chamber. Very important for when a youngin has "Buck", Pheasant", "Duck" whatever fever.

+2 ... It will not give another opportunity to fire a shot after the first one without thinking to put another in the chamber. Very important for when a youngin has "Buck", Pheasant", "Duck" whatever fever.

I can understand the "one-shot" sentiment, but my personal preference is to have my kids start with a gun that can be visibly broken open. When hunting behind pointing dogs they carry the broken gun over their shoulders and close the action only when the dogs are on point. After the flush and subsequent shots, their guns are broken open again. It's easier for me to monitor that, than try to guess from a distance if their pump's chamber is open. Same advantage when crossing fences, loading into vehicles, etc. If one is adamant about limiting youngsters to just one shot, an over/under can obviously be loaded with a single shell just as simply as a pump can.

Over the years, most recently while guiding, I've watched too many hunters, both young and old, empty their pumps by cycling shells through them at the end of the field. That always seemed like a recipe for disaster to me.

I appreciate your point. I have a 7 year old that I have been pondering this same issue with for a little while. I like the O/U option for him as well, but am just a bit worried that a kid would forget to put the safe back on. Having him go with one shell at a time would be the solution, but after he realizes that there is a capacity for 2 I don't know how long that would be able to be a rule :rolleyes:

On a related topic, do you guys shoot a 26" barrel as adults? I have always used a 28. If I were to get a 26 for the young lad, would that be a gun one could use as he grows? I am looking at the adjustable stock type so that isn't much of an issue.

Back