youth hunt reports

share your experiences here. Keep us old farts young!!

golly can't believe no one took their kids hunting. just wanted to read the stories.
Heading out Friday to Dodge first time for me in two years. Looks like the weather will be warm(no surprise)
Good Luck to all who venture out

I took my son out today and we were able to move 4 coveys of quail. The results were 8 spent shells, 2 tired dogs and 1 tired kid. Unfortunately he didn't connect on any of his shots but at least he got the opportunity to pull the trigger and feel the thrill of birds flushing at his feet. The dogs worked pretty well and were able to get a tune up before next weekend so it was a pretty good day overall. Can't wait for next Saturday morning!

Took my son out Sunday, the day after he passed his hunter's safety course. Within five minutes the pup had a point. About 15 hen pheasants came up at once! Heard a rooster in the distance. A few minutes later she pointed a 30 bird covey of quail. My son got one shot off but missed. We chased the birds but the day was moving a little faster than he was. Our shorthair had a nice point on a rooster later, but it flushed early. The birds were very skittish, but we saw a lot, which was nice for a change. We'll be ready for next weekend.

My photo bucket account is acting up otherwise I would have posted a couple nice pictures .

Went out with a good friend and his boys 6 month old GSP her Mom and Dad , one of my Brittanys and two young very eager boys ready to get there 1 st pheasants of the season .

The Dogs did their Job , and both boys connected on pheasants . We saw good numbers but they were plenty Jumpy with the warmer weather .

Lot's of good dog work !!!

My photo bucket account is acting up otherwise I would have posted a couple nice pictures .

Went out with a good friend and his boys 6 month old GSP her Mom and Dad , one of my Brittanys and two young very eager boys ready to get there 1 st pheasants of the season .

The Dogs did their Job , and both boys connected on pheasants . We saw good numbers but they were plenty Jumpy with the warmer weather .

Lot's of good dog work !!!
Sounds encouraging. Bringing my Army son for his third time and my future son-in-law for his first time. We are not coming until the 20th, hope it cools off a bit. Please save us a few birds!

Sounds encouraging. Bringing my Army son for his third time and my future son-in-law for his first time. We are not coming until the 20th, hope it cools off a bit. Please save us a few birds!

We saved you many Rooster , we will save even more as long as you post a few,pics have your hunt and crew . Best of luck .

Hey all, keep taking the kids out! We need more hunters to keep our sport alive and well. I can't wait to get my 2 year old son out hunting. these are some encouraging reports! I'll be out there the 20th through the 23rd for the first time. Getting pretty excited for some good bird hunting. I haven't hunted anywhere with a true wild pheasant population yet, only stocked WI birds. I'll keep you guys posted on the hunt. Good luck to all and be safe!

Lee

Took my daughter out on her second turkey hunt this Fall. We had a pretty sweet setup this time, we moved our blind among a bunch of round bales. It was about invisible. We heard and saw plenty of birds out of range early.

After nearly 2 hours we decided to hop out of the blind for a pee break... Big mistake. If we had just waited 10 more minutes, we might have had a flock in our lap...:rolleyes: We watched them slide off to the side of us, keeping about an 80 yard bubble between us and them.

Just when all hope was lost, a little flock of hens came up from behind us, intending to join the other 2 flocks out in the field. Unfortunately, the way they came by, my daughter couldn't take a shot until they were pushing the edge of range for the non-turkey loads she was using... I didn't want the shotgun to knock her shoulder off. :laugh:

We did our best to scoot around in the blind to get her a shot at them once they hit a safe angle to take a shot. It ended up being a pretty awkward poke, and a miss.:( We followed where the birds went just to be sure, and they all appeared to be just fine, and barely disturbed. I would say they heard the boom, but did not realize it was intended for them. :laugh:

We ended our hunt by moving our blind for (hopefully) the last time. We saw where most of the birds entered the field, and set up where they should come right by the blind if it doesn't spook them.

We might be back in the turkey blind for the upland opener! :cheers:

Our "youth" group was my 14 year old, a friend and his two daughters, and another friend and his son. We hunted three walk-in fields. First two were both 80s of CRP. We moved a few birds in both, but not as many as I expected and no roosters in range. We did see a few chickens though. That was cool, had not seen any of those in a while.

The third was a full quarter, but probably a 100 was green wheat. On one end was a nice shelterbelt surrounded by CRP. That produced several hens and a nice sized covey. The kids managed three birds from the covey.

By then it was lunch time and quitting time.

Back