Youth hunt and scouting

DIRKNPHEZ

We were able to step out this last weekend for the youth hunt. It was just me and a buddy and his grandkid who is 11. We had two gsp's. We started of in a couple of honey holes we found last year but they did not produce. After a nice breakfast from the local cafe around 10 we found a nice crp field about 11. It was thick and tall. The best i have seen in years. With in the first 30 yds my gsp went on point. Rooster jumps before i can get there and flies right toward us. I thought alright here we go. No shots fired. Lil man just wasnt ready for the speed. My pointer then takes off again and in gets out far enough i cant see him anymore. I whistle him back in and no response. Hes on point again. While trying to find him we stop to look for a sign and a rooster jumps between me and the lil guy. No more than 5 ft between us. Once again no shot fired. I then asked him what are we waiting on bud. He responded with I think I just Shit myself lol. Everyone remembers the first time u almost stepped on one. Priceless memories. Before that field was done we had one more point and three wild flushes for a total of 4 roosters and one hen. Hopefully that will produce next weekend at sunlight and a cpl of there buddies are still in there as well. No road birds were seen the entire weekend. We were able to find a covey of quial (20+.) The young man was able to unload his gone but once again no birds. He said i could of shot the one that flew into that tree. When i asked him why he chose not to he said no fun if it is just sitting there. The boy has hunting ethics. Which made his grandpa really proud. We did come home empty handed but all in all had a great weekend. It definently got my blood flowing and ready to go next weekend. Im gonna be up all night friday like a little kid on christmas. Good luck next weekend boys and safe hunting.

Sounds like a fun day and a fine young man any of us would gladly share a field with.:cheers:

My kids had more than a few trips where they never fired a shot either due to being careful or just not ready. It is still experience and good for them to learn. I hopefully will be out this weekend with my kids , a non shooting (yet) 9 yr old , and my good shooter 17 yr old girl.

Back