Yellow WIA signs

steele

I hunted the Webster area last year and was wondering if the yellow WIA signs were different from the normal white ones. They seemed to be around standing corn? The legend from the 2008 Atlas showed a blue or purple border around WIAs that could not be hunted while the crop was still standing. Some of the WIAs from the Atlas had gray diagonal lines through them and seemed to be in the area of the yellow WIA signs. Any ideas about the yellow signs?

I've never seen a yellow sign for a walk-in area. The only yellow signs I know of are the ones for the Game Production Areas. As for the areas with gray lines through them, the Hunting Atlas says they are "Special Management Areas". I don't know what that means, guess I'll have to do a little research.

Yellow Walk-In signs

Are you referring to Webster Reservoir in NW Kansas? If so, the yellow signs are put there by federal authorities who operate the reservoirs and the federal land around them.

Webster, South Dakota. Actually, the WIAs where the yellow signs were posted were just west of Bristol.

steele,

I'm looking at the 2009 Hunting Atlas and the area just west of Bristol is marked as a SD GFP Special Management Unit. I did some searching on the GFP's web site to try and find out more about these units but didn't come up with anything so I called someone I know at the GFP office here in Aberdeen. These are special units that are set up to help control geese populations. They have special rules that allow hunters to drive on harvested cornfields only for decoy placement and retrieval. They are open to public hunting of upland game as well. If you have a Hunting Atlas look at the bottom of the second to past page and there is a section entitled "Day Co. Special Mngmnt Unit" that explains the unit.

Hope this helps to clarifiy these areas.

Zeb

Thanks Dakotazeb- I don't have my atlas yet. Last year I walked through standing corn to an isolated wpa. It turned out to be a long walk. There wasn't enough cover to hunt pheasants but the little approx. 3 acre pond was loaded with mallards. I have had success hunting standing corn with a hunting buddy if the corn field is not too big. Happy hunting.

Back