Wyoming trip advice?

Remember it is only 1 week long!!! unit or area 1. Area 4 is only a couple days long. Check the regs for description of areas.:cheers:

Ah yes , i keep thinking about the blue grouse opening on the first and that the reason we planned our trip when we did is so that the sage grouse would be open. I am not as ignorant as i seem its just that I'm in a bird hunting trip planning frenzy. Thanks for reminding me. Luckily my hunting partner is very detail oriented! You guys ever find yourself in the southeast i will return favor.

1st is not far off, esetter, best of times for you.
Some details and pics of your adventure, that would be cool.

Yea , I agree. We are leaving there and headed to N.D. for a week to try and pound some sharpies. Hopefully some huns! Im trying to get squared away on wyo as possible but I have been enough places for the first time that I am prepared for this to be a learning trip.Seeing how my dog reacts to new terrain is enough to keep me entertained but wouldn't mind seeing a ''boomer'' or two blow up off of the end of my barrel.

Yea , I agree. We are leaving there and headed to N.D. for a week to try and pound some sharpies. Hopefully some huns! Im trying to get squared away on wyo as possible but I have been enough places for the first time that I am prepared for this to be a learning trip.Seeing how my dog reacts to new terrain is enough to keep me entertained but wouldn't mind seeing a ''boomer'' or two blow up off of the end of my barrel.
You will be fine if you go to the places we have recommended, And follow what has been stated. Shoot the small ones if your going to eat them, this is no joke. You want to mount one shot the Bombers. They are about the size of a Turkey, and are tuff as hell.

esetter, I don't know if I'm going to make it to casper. I just picked up some work that is lots of money and I need to capitalize on this opp. Best of luck, you should do fine.:)

Hey , If you need a hand on that big money job let me know! could stand a little cash here myself. Thanks so much for all the pointers and advice. Would like to shoot 1 good boomer and eat the little ones. Do they hold for dogs? I have had days that I did much better on sharpies without a dog.

prairie grouse are 1 of the few if only upland game bird species that a hunting dog is really not needed maybe for the retrieve but you can kill plenty with out a dog it means lots of walking & good shooting but it can be done get into 1 early season flock & u can bag ur limit & be all done fast... but they also hold well for pointing dogs in the early season...

late season forget the long range n dog for prairie grouse it can be done but 1 guy walking with the wind yes with the wind & u can get on birds as they are facing down wind to watching for predators alot of times on the crests of hills or slight rises...

im pretty sure they call big male prairie chickens boomers & big male sage grouse bombers like jmac said...

all prairie grouse sage included use there eyes more that any other species of game birds they have to to live in the terrain they call home so if you can help it use the terrain against them & of course if they see you coming from a mile off they will flush wild but that being said i also herd sage grouse are not the smartest birds around & they just stand there & watch truck drive up to them so??? if they have been blasted at a few times they could be jumpy i dont think its the norm for the species thow... late season all species are jumpy... dont have to worry about that outside of MT thow as all other seasons are so short in length...

if your dog can hunt sharptails im sure it will be fine out in sage grouse country if its only a ruffed grouse country dog it may take a little bit to working ranging out a bit farther then in the deep woods...???

I've hunted farson to lander for the last dozen or so years, good stretch most years. On that side I've gotten blues off the loop road but there is a grizzly hanging in my favorite spot riht now.

Everybody is right on. I agree the birds aren't very tenacious and a couple pellets will bring most down. With their size you can poke out a little farther,just keep your head and stay calm. But a big flock will rattle hell out of ya- very exciting!

I like 4s in my 12 and 5s in my 20, I'm admittedly a big pellet guy on pheasants too. Take time for a tailgate lunch and soak up the scenery.

And if you get towards farson be sure to stop for ice cream...

Thanks beretta double. Ive been working on our trailer hunting rig that my hunting partner and I are putting together.getting pretty pumped.I hope I don't have to write a grizzly story when I return! I usually shoot 6's in my 20 but I like 5's too. Are any of you guys gonna hunt wyoming blues next week?

Esetter, did you have any pic's from your trip? I may have missed them, but if not I would sure enjoy seeing some!:thumbsup:

I do have pics and will post them. We had an awsome trip. Killed 10 sage grouse in 2 days of hunting them. Killed my first ever hun. Got into one really nice covey. We shot some sharpies , then went up to bighorns near montana and two of the guys i was with killed blues. I missed two. Neat place for sure!

I do have pics and will post them. We had an awsome trip. Killed 10 sage grouse in 2 days of hunting them. Killed my first ever hun. Got into one really nice covey. We shot some sharpies , then went up to bighorns near montana and two of the guys i was with killed blues. I missed two. Neat place for sure!

Esetter I'm glad you had a great time in wyoming its a very special place with lots to offer.:thumbsup:

esetter, things work out with some homework:) good for you guys.
Looking forward to pics and Some-----?? minor--- details. :thumbsup:

Working on pics , got some good ones. Was amazed how large the sage grouse are! Call me weird but I thought they were decent eating. Huns cant be beat for table fare. That trip ruined me , Id hunt huns for the rest of my days if i could.

Working on pics , got some good ones. Was amazed how large the sage grouse are! Call me weird but I thought they were decent eating. Huns cant be beat for table fare. That trip ruined me , Id hunt huns for the rest of my days if i could.

I have been waiting the best I could!!! Thanks, I will watch for them soon!!:thumbsup:

True sign of a real hunter/outdoorsman. :thumbsup:
You eat what you kill and enjoy it. Good for you. :cheers:
Sage Grouse are large and good eating, Huns are small and dang good eating.

Sorry , been busy for the last month or two. Pics here this week i promise! My mom would cook a blue jay or robin for me when I killed it with my pellet rifle when I was little. Im not too hard to please...lol

Back