WWII South Dakota Pheasant Sandwiches

Dakotazeb

On page 91 of the Summer 2016 edition of the Pheasants Forever magazine there was an article about the pheasant sandwiches that were fed to the troops that passed through Aberdeen, SD by train during WWII. At the bottom was the recipe used to make the sandwiches. Has anyone else tried it? I made up a batch today and it's not bad. The onion I used was a little overpowering but all in all pretty good stuff. Another way to use up some of those birds laying in the bottom of your freezer.

For those that are not PF members (shame on you) I'll post the recipe below.

Pheasants Sandwiches (WWII)

3 cups finely chopped cooked pheasant meat
2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
2 grated carrots
1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
2 tsp sweet pickle relish
Salt & pepper to taste
Mayonnaise or salad dressing to taste and to hold it all together, chill
Spread on sandwich bread or bun

The only change is I marinate then grill the meat. Chop it up with the eggs,mayo and onions. Add some celery and seasoning and put it on some toasted bread. Pretty darn good.

I read the article and made it last week, pretty darn tasty. Trying to make room in the freezer for summertime fish and the upcoming fall season by trying some new recipes out. I really enjoyed the sandwiches and will make it again. Didn't taste much different than chicken salad sandwiches IMO, but knowing that it had pheasant in it made it much better than chicken.

I used up a bunch of my thighs in make mine. I think next time instead of chopping the pheasant pieces I'll run they through my meat grinder. Had a few tough pieces in the mix. I also think I'll add some Horseradish Sauce to the Mayo or Salad Dressing to give it some zip. Made some sandwiches for lunch today and I think after it sat a day it's better. Serving it on a hardier type of bread topped with some lettuce is good too.

There was a documentary program about the WWII South Dakota Pheasant Sandwiches that were served to all the troops passing through Aberdeen SD on the trains. I believe it was on the History Channel on TV just last year. A lot of old film footage was shown along with the commentary. It was really a great program. :)

Back