WOW. Controversial Article on South Dakota Pheasants.

After reading this article are you......

• More interested in a South Dakota pheasant hunting trip

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Less interested in a South Dakota pheasant hunting trip

Votes: 16 88.9%

• Total voters
Just spent three days hunting WILD Pheasants--yes I'm sure they are wild as I don't release birds nor do and of my adjunct landowners and today it was already time to not slam car doors or stand around talking or any of the lists of things that spook wild birds.

HAD A GREAT TIME---no limits but there were lots of birds for sure more than last year--good dog work--good friends--what more can one ask for? :D

Are you kinding me?! Pheasant Capital......Released Pheasants.

I can assure you that 100% of the numerous UGUIDE guests DO NOT come to South Dakota to hunt released pheasants and are QUITE upset if they encounter ANY on their hunts.

That's good to hear.

I don't mind others releasing birds but I think they should have to disclose this to anyone who pays to hunt their land.

Tim

I can assure you that 100% of the numerous UGUIDE guests DO NOT come to South Dakota to hunt released pheasants and are QUITE upset if they encounter ANY on their hunts.

Do you have any sort of policy regarding this with land owners you work with? Does this policy include the release of bred hens in the spring?

I've heard that big operators release lots of birds and in some instances try to "wild" them before their sports hunt. Big business.

Many big operations that advertise "100% wild birds" are surreptitiously stocking bred hens in the spring time. Does that make for 100% wild come fall? I suppose in a way...
I do know that from my own experiences, on good nesting habitat, bred hens have a brood production rate higher than 3/100. Takes some predator management to accomplish this though.

Just spent three days hunting WILD Pheasants--yes I'm sure they are wild as I don't release birds nor do and of my adjunct landowners and today it was already time to not slam car doors or stand around talking or any of the lists of things that spook wild birds.

HAD A GREAT TIME---no limits but there were lots of birds for sure more than last year--good dog work--good friends--what more can one ask for? :D

:thumbsup: You nailed it SDJIM ... :)

From your web site it looks like you limit the number of clients per property and limit the hunting to 3 days per week.

If you hunted 7 days per week with no limit on the number of hunters like public land, how many roosters do you think you would have left after three weeks?

There is no way that even the best habitat can handle that kind of pressure. The birds that don't get shot will leave for better places.

Jerry

From your web site it looks like you limit the number of clients per property and limit the hunting to 3 days per week.

If you hunted 7 days per week with no limit on the number of hunters like public land, how many roosters do you think you would have left after three weeks?

There is no way that even the best habitat can handle that kind of pressure. The birds that don't get shot will leave for better places.

Jerry

You would have as many as the habitat can support. They may not be there all the time, but if there is cover and food, chances are there are some birds. There is a section of GPA near Oral that used to kind of be a local secret, well, the secret is long since out. I know guys that still hunt it and get birds. I don't because I won't wrestle for positon with a bunch of yahoos, just for a shot at a pheasant. In fact, I will always stand aside for an out of state hunter and let them have at it. I figure I have two and a half months to chase pheasants, those guys might have a week at most. Fair is fair, I am glad you all come to our state and spend your hard-earned dough. Even if you are tucking it in a Dancer's G-string at the Peacock Club!

Jerry

Exactly, in the beginning I limited my place to 3 days hunting 4 days rest per week. Client limit is based on lodge capacity.

In a released bird model you can pour the birds out on the same 40 acres every day. Much more lucrative and pressure is not an issue.

We now offer 4 day hunts based on ability to manage for birds and handle the hunting pressure.

Back