Would you rather...

I like the crops to be out, the pressure to be gone, the cold to set in, the birds to bunched up in the better habitats, and a better chance the water will be stiff.
Exactly my line of thinking too. Which is why I do 100% of my pheasant hunting from mid-November until January 1 when the season closes here.

I'm going to take the roundabout approach to my answer. I love opening weekend! All the different towns are ready for their guests and that makes it so much fun. We always stop in Mitchell (Cabela's and supper) and throughout the weekend we head to different volunteer organization's events (firefighters to local churches) to support them. I love hunting in October and getting an early start before my home state opens. Going after the uneducated birds has it's advantages too. We're at pretty much the same 5 guys for 14 years or so and love it. Now......... when it comes to straight up hunting I love November and December. The temperatures are great and crops are down! It is usually just me (maybe one other person) and the dogs. We're their for one reason and one reason only... to hunt birds, and then hunt a little more. I love that visit too! I go there twice a year with two very different mindsets. Either way it's always fun, but I am a different person for each trip as I feel the scenarios are very much not the same. Both experiences I would highly recommend and I really feel one should experience both those scenarios. So I guess you need to decide what you want and honestly you'll enjoy either one. I recommend trying both times of year too, even if it isn't in the same calendar year. I can think of negatives to both times of the year as well. Again you'll enjoy either trip though.

Come to SD for the opener.. Or, wait and come in early November?

I have two dogs, one of which is a puppy (around 7 months) that will be making his first trip out.. I know in November more crops will be out and it'll likely be cooler, but I also wonder if bird numbers will be THAT MUCH higher opening weekend and the days following that it'd be beneficial to come early.. I've read that early on birds are a bit dumber, and maybe that'll offset some of the mistakes my pup is bound to make. Either way I know the weather can ruin a trip, but I've seen 70 degree days in November too. As of now forecasts are showing anywhere from 60-75 for highs the days I'd come, but I know you can't trust any forecast more than a day or two out. I think regardless I'd cancel my plans to come out if the highs are anywhere around 70 regardless of the week I end up choosing.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If you like the spectacle, then opening week. It is probably an experience that one should experience at some point, there is always something going on. My family usually has a big turnout the opening weekend and it is good to see everyone. However, hunting wise I prefer to go out at least the 2nd weekend and hunt in a small group of 4-5. Some of the best years I've had is when there are reports of low bird numbers over the opening week.
Later in the season there are still plenty of birds, less traffic and competition. Some private landowners also will allow permission to their land after their lessees make their one and only trip to SD.

November and it's not close in my opinion. I always do the weekend after opener at we find plenty of places to hunt, also like coming back in early january and it's rare to see a truck. Have to work harder for them but I enjoy hunting cattails with my pup.
Late season is the best.

Well, I ended up coming for the opener.. and I’m not the least bit disappointed..

Saturday we ended up with two.. but I flat out missed two easy ones and had a few get up too far out..

Sunday we had a limit by 11:15, had two flushes with 10+ birds, and probably put up 40 birds total

Today we limited out by 2 o’clock all with my 7 month old pup.. maybe put up 20 birds all together, the pup is arguably better than his older brother.

Bird numbers seem WAY higher than last year. Seems like WPA are the hot spot, as a few of them still have a little water left. My older dogs feet are completely raw so I think we’re going to pull the plug early tomorrow and head home. Seemed like I shot mostly young birds, but plenty of color.

Anyone have a city between Mitchell and Sioux Falls where there are a few birds that I could target, Salem feels right for whatever reason.. want to get my puppy out on a few more birds on the trip home.. can’t imagine there’s really a bad spot..

Thanks

2766A85E-BEEC-42FE-ADC1-8C25F2964B22.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I ended up coming for the opener.. and I’m not the least bit disappointed..

Saturday we ended up with two.. but I flat out missed two easy ones and had a few get up too far out..

Sunday we had a limit by 11:15, had two flushes with 10+ birds, and probably put up 40 birds total

Today we limited out by 2 o’clock all with my 7 month old pup.. maybe put up 20 birds all together, the pup is arguably better than his older brother.

Bird numbers seem WAY higher than last year. Seems like WPA are the hot spot, as a few of them still have a little water left. My older dogs feet are completely raw so I think we’re going to pull the plug early tomorrow and head home. Seemed like I shot mostly young birds, but plenty of color.

Anyone have a city between Mitchell and Sioux Falls where there are a few birds that I could target, Salem feels right for whatever reason.. want to get my puppy out on a few more birds on the trip home.. can’t imagine there’s really a bad spot..

Thanks

View attachment 4288
Congrats on a great trip! Just drive until you find some good looking cover and drop that pup in and let him keep learning. Best of luck on your get out of town hunt day! Safe travels

Thanks

View attachment 4288
Sounds like a great time. That is a really nice looking dog!

Back