Worth it?

I have been thinking about making my first trip to Iowa hunting. Looking at North Central Iowa, but everything I read says no birds. Is this true? Is it worth making a trip? I live in MN, so the hunting is so-so, is it any better in Iowa?

Thanks everyone, just don't want to waste a trip. Oh, and I would be trying to access public hunting areas.

The birds harvested last year were about the same for each state. Iowa was way down. I would think the public areas in each state would be very comparable especially in the northern half. Marsh, cattails, and tall grass and similar #'s of birds. To see more birds and different terrain you might consider SD, ND, or KS.

I live in No. Iowa Flush'em. Last year was the first in 32 yrs I didn't down a single rooster in my home county (Cerro Gordo) Your best bet is to hunt the NW top two tier counties. We've had cruel ice encrusted winters and cold, wet and miserable spring after spring. Head west if you can.

hey flush em hard i live in NW IOWA obrien county and i limited out very time i went out...then i went to cherokee county didnt c one.. i heve a buddy hunts im emmet count and he said that he really didnt have any luck....

I have been thinking about making the trip as well. Is there a lot of public land out that way? It is hard for me to get a way from work for anything other than a 3-4 day weekend and the drive to IA for me wouldn't be all that bad.
Thanks in advance

ya right no phez

i tell you what last year in the dead of winter i went to my girfriends moms funeral i seen pheasants out in fields we were leaving waterloo heading south i think highway 218 for not having pheasants i sure did see lots off a main highway

I think if you look around Spirit Lake you will find lots of public ground. Most of it is cattails and sloughs. Went there a couple of years ago and saw tons of birds. Don't know about # this year.

Last year I had pretty good luck, but I hunted the same spot (albeit Public) quite a bit. Nobody ever hunted this spot, as I could always tell things that were out of place. I couldve shot a lot more birds than I did, but I had an inexperienced dog that I was trying to teach the right thing to.

All in all, I didnt really see many birds last year and there was a lot of standing corn remaining throughout the state, which hurt public places.

If you do come have fun, but respect the privelege.

Back