Woodcock opener?

dnj21

Anyone get out to chase Woodcock around yesterday? I had planned on it but a couple hours chasing the little one around the Pumpkin Patch at Fischer's in Jeff City and I ran out of day light and energy.....

No, but one of the other teachers that owns a big ranch claims he saw some this weekend allready. I'm 2 hours south of you.

I think our peak is usually early to mid Nov here, but I am duck hunting or Quail hunting by then and they become a bonus when chasing other birds. They are a lot of fun to chase around, that's for sure.
Headed down to Branson to Trout fish this weekend, but plan on getting out 28th/29th for one more dog tune up before 11/1 opener. She has only fetched Doves and had four days Grouse hunting up in Michigan so far. No planted birds this year.

It's nice when the time until the opener is counted in days instead of weeks or months :)

Been seeing them in the evenings around here. Not very many but a few. Dogs found one across the road during 5 hours of hunting. When I was up north some of the locals thought it would be earlier this year so maybe we will get lucky.

37 at the house and 32 in the bottom this morning, with more up North of us. May be enough to start to move some WC down to us this weekend. With nice cool weather to work in, might be worth a look.....

I went out today for about three hours. Awesome cold weather, but did not move any birds. I know my legs are nice and scratched up and my dogs has some battle scars...so at least we tried! I did see one spot of splash...but I am guessing still too early for them here in SW MO?

I went out today for about three hours. Awesome cold weather, but did not move any birds. I know my legs are nice and scratched up and my dogs has some battle scars...so at least we tried! I did see one spot of splash...but I am guessing still too early for them here in SW MO?

Its just getting cold up north, so expect flight birds to arrive soon. It may take a couple weeks. Sometimes they come in dribs and drabs and other times a whole bunch will drop in. Depends a lot on the prevailing winds, in my experience.

Yes--they do. They eat mostly worms. Their long beaks can sense them (some say vibrations). This requires soft fertile soils.
My understanding is that they tend to follow along drainage (rivers, streams and brooks) as they work their way south.
I've found then in low wet areas consistently and in uplands adjacent to the same, but always close to waterways.

There are lots of great books on the subject. Wet and fertile belts of land are the key. During dry years, look for low areas with ferns and such.

Back