Woodcock in Missouri

huntbirdz

Was wondering if anyone could possibly provide some information or point me in the right direction to hunt woodcock on some of Missouri's public lands? Particularly somewhat close (2 hours) to the KC Metro Area. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

River and creek bottoms. You find a swampy area. You find woodcock. If you're going public you need to get to some of those places before duck season.

not knowing your area....the things woodcock like are moist soils with thick stem densities. If you can fall down without hitting a stem it is not thick enough. Look for covers that lay near major waterways like rivers or interstate roads. SItes that have had some timber harvest with thick regen should hold birds, however, if soil is hard that would reduce the chances of seeing birds. Another trick would be to inspect mud puddles on dirt roads near good cover and look for foot prints and probing holes. Woodcock will come out to these puddles looking for food. But again, look for very dense tree cover and moist soils so they can feed. Good luck.

If you have any interest in a partner, pm me. I'd be happy to get out and give it a go until a couple times until pheasant season starts.

Caveat emptor: I have only shot woodcock in Michigan. I have a general sense of cover and a couple ideas/wild guesses about regional (to KC) spots to try.

River and creek bottoms. You find a swampy area. You find woodcock. If you're going public you need to get to some of those places before duck season.

Thanks for the information. I have heard of hunters getting into woodcock in Missouri, but really only know what I have read about what kind of habitat they seem to thrive in. I know just like anything else, I will have to put boots on the ground and scout.

not knowing your area....the things woodcock like are moist soils with thick stem densities. If you can fall down without hitting a stem it is not thick enough. Look for covers that lay near major waterways like rivers or interstate roads. SItes that have had some timber harvest with thick regen should hold birds, however, if soil is hard that would reduce the chances of seeing birds. Another trick would be to inspect mud puddles on dirt roads near good cover and look for foot prints and probing holes. Woodcock will come out to these puddles looking for food. But again, look for very dense tree cover and moist soils so they can feed. Good luck.

Yeah that's pretty much what I have read to look for as far as habitat. I have an idea of some places close to home but I just get out to the locations and walk them. Thanks.

Thanks for the information. I have heard of hunters getting into woodcock in Missouri, but really only know what I have read about what kind of habitat they seem to thrive in. I know just like anything else, I will have to put boots on the ground and scout.

They're not usually here for very long. I dont know the migration patterns, but it seems like they are up north a lot longer than they are here. I see them a lot in the spring time also. Actually see them more in the spring. I would start up north as far as you can in thick cover. I have found them around Truman Lake. There is a lot of ground you can hunt around the lake. It seems like they are here for about a week then gone. Just have to hit the migration right.

Last year they were scarce here, the year before last they were everywhere for 10 days. It's warm up north this year so they will probably be late, deer season late.

It really depends on the time of year. Typically middle November is when they migrate through. We go to quail areas not to far from Springfield every year on Thanksgiving and we usually end up getting in to one or two woodcock and that's not spending much time in the woods since we are typically chasing quail.

They are here. Got up 4 on Tuesday. Only hunted from about 4-5:45pm. But they are here. Be here for about a week is my guess.

Saw the first flock of robins in the woods next to the yard, it's time, I'll be hitting the coverts this weekend and will have a better idea how quail did locally. Hopefully the doodles won't shortstop like the dove did:)

Found 5 doodles in an hour yesterday afternoon. Still quite a few here, just been chasing other birds. Too bad season closes tomorrow:rolleyes:

Back