Wondering dakotazeb

bobeyerite

Dakotazeb, George, how did Elle do in her weekend NSTRA Trail? I know it was her first sure adventure. But give us the story please.............Bob

Sorry Bob but the first NSTRA trial is this coming weekend (Apr 17-18). We also have another one the following weekend. I'll be sure to let you know how she does. I'll be happy as long as she doesn't embarrass me and/or herself. They are using Chukars, which she has never seen, so it will be interesting how she handles them. I'm sure that pen raised Chukars are going to hold a lot tighter than the pheasants we've been finding lately. I've been running her hard the past few weeks so I don't anticipate her having any problem in keeping up a good pace for the full 30 minutes.

I have this theory that I'll most likely get shot down on. But I know with Tony and other dogs I have hunted with out here. We have Pheasant, Huns, Chukar, and Quail, here. There range does overlap in places. When a dog goes on point you don't really know what is going to fly out of the cover. This leads me to believe all game birds must smell very much alike. Think about this for a bit, when we train our dogs we use pigeon's a lot. Why, because they smell stronger than a regular game bird making them easier for the dog being trained to find. The point being; they too, must smell like the other game birds...........Bob

Last edited:
Bob, I've always kinda thought along those same lines but I haven't ran across anyone who can back that up or disclaim it so I don't really know...

Some of my dogs do not show much interest in piegons. They have no problem with Chuks or any game bird for that matter. I have run NAVHDA tests with puppies/dogs that had never seen or smelled a chuk and they did just fine.
Good luck George. When I get fully retired I may get back in the game.

Good luck George I hope Elle does well . Just placing is a accomplishment..........Bob

Last edited:
Back