Wisconsin bird chaser

BirdBocx

Hi, I am Mark. The dogs (9 yr old WPG and 1 yr old ES) and I reside in southern WI, but we really live in North Dakota. We chase grouse and doodles up nort', ducks on the Mississippi - well, not the English, as he's not such a good swimmer - and own a house in NoDak where we spend too few weeks each year. Birds are down from the last several banner years there, however it remains some of the best upland hunting to be had. Found more than enough on the first trip out there in early November, plus a few bonus huns and sharpies.

Czechpoint, thanks for the tip on this website. To all, I look forward to the interchange of knowledge with you. Good days afield!

Hi, Zeb. Thanks for the welcome. The house is in McClusky. How are the bird numbers around you? I'm hearing mixed reports. Hunted around Winner/Chamberlain area for many years before heading NoDak way.

Mark

Hunting around Aberdeen has been pretty good but with all the water and crops still standing its been tough. The corn is starting to come out which should help. But now I see a new problem starting as the temps go down. The sub-freezing temps at night are putting a skim of ice on the water and allowing the birds to get out into the sloughs and other areas of water & weeds. Now they have more places to hide that we can't get to. I think it's going to be a tough season but I'm still getting some birds.

Welcome to UPH, I hope you come back often great bunch of guys here that love to talk hunting.......Bob

Welcome to the site. Interesting dog combo you have there from a guy that has a 7 yo ES & a 2 yo Griff.

Interesting dog combo you have there from a guy that has a 7 yo ES & a 2 yo Griff.

Hi, Roger. Let's talk! :) Here are a couple of more exciting photos of my current partners. Where are your dogs out of? My ES is Havelock and Tekoa Mountain. He is my 2nd Setter, the first dying last year at 6 of a fibrocartilagenous embolism. A bone fragment spontaneously broke off in his body during the night and penetrated his spine, completely paralyzing, then shutting him down. Freaky to say the least, and very sad.

My griffon (female) is out of my own kennel, with lines out of Alders Edge. I have had about 6 WPGs so far. Her mom was stellar, probably the best dog I will ever own. Madi is good.

I see in another post that you hunt Montana for huns. I'd love to hear more if you have the time. They are such fun, and frustratingly enticing. I have not hunted Montana yet, so any info you provide will be appreciated.

Good luck on the quail!

Mark

Hi, Roger. Let's talk! :) Here are a couple of more exciting photos of my current partners. Where are your dogs out of? My ES is Havelock and Tekoa Mountain. He is my 2nd Setter, the first dying last year at 6 of a fibrocartilagenous embolism. A bone fragment spontaneously broke off in his body during the night and penetrated his spine, completely paralyzing, then shutting him down. Freaky to say the least, and very sad.

My griffon (female) is out of my own kennel, with lines out of Alders Edge. I have had about 6 WPGs so far. Her mom was stellar, probably the best dog I will ever own. Madi is good.

I see in another post that you hunt Montana for huns. I'd love to hear more if you have the time. They are such fun, and frustratingly enticing. I have not hunted Montana yet, so any info you provide will be appreciated.

Good luck on the quail!

Mark

Katie is (If I remember correctly -No papers with me) Tamoka- Tamoka Sunrise & Mohawk. I dont have a clue what Megan is but her mom is from WI & the male is out of Colorado. I think 90% of the griffs in the country come from WI. I'll send you Megans pedigree when I get back home. Megan is doing very well in the field & with NAVHDA & playing with "shoot to retrieve games" But besides that she is such a joy to have around.
Bird #s were way down in Montana this year but with my 2 girls on the job we didn't go hungry. Mark your calender for September 1 2010 & I'll show you around if the birds aren't completely wiped out

RogerWYO

Welcome to the site and good looking dogs :thumbsup:, You'll enjoy the wealth of knowledge these guys bring to the table.

Plus I'll be duck hunting up in your area (Lake Mills Wi.) come thanksgiving weekend. :) have a good one.

MJ

Thanks, MJ. Good luck with the ducks on Lake Mills. Sounds like we may have some weather this next week and I hope it brings some birds down. There are some divers on the Mississippi, but the major push hasn't come yet. Given the bluebird weather up north, not too surprising. This is the latest I can recall in the 35+ years I've been hunting ducks, but since I am getting old, perhaps my memory isn't what it used to be. :)

Roger, I look forward to hearing from you when you get back home. Thanks for the generous offer in September!

Mark

Hi, Wisturkeyhunter. Thanks for dropping me a line.

Pheasants in Wisconsin? I don't believe it. From what I understand, there hasn't been one since 1931 or so....... :) I shot a few put-and-take birds here, but honestly, I don't do much pheasant hunting in WI. I know of some native birds, but am always hesitant to shoot them because I fear it may mean no next generation. As an aside, lived in Janesville for a couple of years, miserably with an ex-girlfriend..... Stokes?

Most of my serious pheasant hunting these days is in NoDak. I like hunting real birds. Have hunted SoDak, Iowa, NY, OR, KS and probably a few other states that elude me after a night on the town. Tell me more about your history.

Mark

Welcome to the site! Glad to have ya! Sounds like you have the ultimate! Hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us do. Just a great bunch here. We really have a great time and enjoy new members! Thanks for joining!

Rod​

Some wild pheasants in Wisconsin not like the states you've listed but enough to make it worth while to go after em. Once the corn is all picked and some snow falls we'll find decent numbers of them concentrated in the marshes.

Back