Wirehair

Dohyde34

Hey y'all. My wife told me the other day she'd like to get another puppy and of course I'm game. I have a pointing lab (who just started pointing staunchly, but that's another post) and hunt mostly chukar and quail. I would like to find a pointer with some range. I'm young and walk miles anyway. I'm leaning towards a gwp but am looking for recommendations for breeders. I like big dogs with long legs.

I've owned a Draat, a shorthair, several labs, hell I've even hunted behind a cocker spaniel one year. Currently I have a Griffon that is pretty hard to beat. The Draat was a pretty incredible hunting dog, however it also was hell bent on pursuing and killing cats, racoons, skunks, porcupines, deer, badgers or anything else that I could find. Additionally it loved to chase rabbits.....I never could break it from these pursuits.

Each of the dogs that I have owned had oddities including this Griffon that I currently hunt but they were all serviceable, hell my grandfather hunted a Rat Terrier for pheasants and that dog was pretty amazing. That said, this Griffon although odd it family friendly, doesn't want to kill everything it crosses paths with, has a great nose, retrieves well, doesn't require much in the way of grooming and ranges perfectly for me at this point in my life.

Hey, Dohyde, we just had a conversation just like this, With a lot of good info. I'm not sure how to find it, but I bet someone can. Someone?

If you would consider a gsp my friend Russ Nelson has some great dogs. Russ has some of the larger gsp around. He guides with them on his own place so all dogs get plenty of bird exposure.
605 690 3955Screenshot_20221229_102425_Facebook.jpg

If you are sold on a wirehair these guys are very conscious of their breeding. They have sold oversize dogs with restricted breeding in the past. I have been around many dogs from their operation and they are nice to be around. Dont seem to be as fur driven as some others.Very active in navhda and akc. Jeff is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.Screenshot_20221229_102919_Chrome.jpg

If you are sold on a wirehair these guys are very conscious of their breeding. They have sold oversize dogs with restricted breeding in the past. I have been around many dogs from their operation and they are nice to be around. Dont seem to be as fur driven as some others.Very active in navhda and akc. Jeff is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.View attachment 4960
Mike, where are they located? There is nothing on their web site to indicate their location. Something they might what to address.

I found the thread you might find interesting if you want. It was called Drahthaar experiences. As for a pup there are lots of breeders. I'm sure in your state or nearby. But your best bet is to visit a NAVDA event. There are also Facebook groups A national G.W.P. club. Then there is always Gun dog central. Best advice I could give you is get one from someone who hunts the same stuff you do. Look at the Dame and stud and make sure the size, color, and coat are what you want. If you in the Dakotas, you'll find a fine dog.

Dohyde? FYI:

Pretty accurate, judging by the three I've had over the past 30+ years.

All were terrific, but each different. Two females, one male--all hunted, the females were less rambunctious.

I luv 'em, but I luv all the dogs I've had.

(Uh, they come with personalities. :) )
young bert haystack tongue.jpg

Best wishes.

Last edited:
Back