Winter Toll

pheasantaddict

What is the % of pheasants that are lost for each week where there is 1" of snow cover on the ground? I heard the figure one time but can't remember.

I can't see where 1" of snow would have any negative effect on pheasants. They can easily scratch through that to food sources and grit. And 1" surely won't effect their roosting cover.

I think....

I think that the stated mortality rate is for every week of snow cover you will lose approximately 10% of the hen population. I am sure that the above statistic is just like all the rest as there are deviations that naturally occur. A couple of inches of snow aren't probably that big of a deal but when you have consistent snow cover of greater than 6 inches for prolonged periods of time then the mortality rate could be even more severe.

Feel free to check my numbers but I think the above number is close to correct.

Here's a photo from Sioux Falls, February 18, 1962, the heaviest 24 hour snowfall on record. The total snowfall for 1961-62 was the second greatest on record. The fall 1962 pheasant population was estimated @ 10,000,000 one of the five or six best year post WWII.

picture.php

Last edited:
Back