Winter Scouting

AKSkeeter

I am blessed to live in an area with so many potential spots (Montana).
Spent yesterday looking at some new areas I had not yet hunted.
Good exercise for me and the dog. I covered 8 miles, the lab probably 25 miles.
Flushed some cattail roosters and also found some new spots for waterfowl hunting.
BirdieIncoming.png

I walked a bit our CRP yesterday. Probably saw a 100 birds, the switch grass is really standing well, it got them through 2 feet of snow and several consecutive days of below zero weather. The adjacent sorghum food plots look to have been used well. Setting up for a good season it this winter doesn't get too sporty.

When I lived in Iowa, and hunted phez, I would drive home a different way each time. It didn't matter where I was hunting, I'd drive home different way each time, looking for potential hunting sites. Worked really well.

Quarter section, it is in CP-38. 5 acres of food plots, 18 acres of just switch grass, 2 acres of shrubs and the balance is pretty much nesting cover that is forbs and native grasses. There is maybe 4 acres in filter strips and maybe 6 acres not in any program, that includes shelterbelts, a food plot and nesting cover. There really isn't any bigger blocks of cover within 4-5 miles, so this time of year it is packed with birds.

Last edited:
The weather was so nice Sunday, so I took a walk through my land and brought along the chainsaw and wire cutters.
Pond.jpg Shallow pondIMG_4346.jpg 15 acre section that I'm hoping gets enrolled in CRP and planted in a pollinator mix this spring. Then, 20 or so hopefully going in next year under the general sign up.

On the way back along the cattails, I stumbled into a big old rooster! I'll have to work on my camera skills next time 😅

Last edited:
The weather was so nice Sunday, so I took a walk through my land and brought along the chainsaw and wire cutters.
View attachment 7534 Shallow pondView attachment 7533 15 acre section that I'm hoping gets enrolled in CRP and planted in a pollinator mix this spring. Then, 20 or so hopefully going in next year under the general sign up.

On the way back along the cattails, I stumbled into a big old rooster! I'll have to work on my camera skills next time 😅
Nice cover

Sounds like a good piece of ground Remy. My land is 45 acres CRP, 2 shelter belts, 30 acre slough (no cattails, which hurts me for winter cover, not great cover in the slough) and the balance 10 acres of food plots, and the remainder is tillable ground.

I was thinking, maybe I could email China, and get some images from the spy balloon 🎈 they floated over us? That thing went over some real pheasanty states.

Back