Winter Cover that feeds

One of the best and easy to grow are crab apples or flowering crabs. Birds and game birds love the little apples.

Is there any great choices out there for winter cover that is perrenial and also is a good food source for birds?

FCS, when i think of the term "food-cover plot" I think of one cover type. Grain Sorghum or "milo" as it is also referred to. Well fertilized and herbicided I don't know of anything that stands better or feeds better thru winter.

Pheasants will roost in it too if there are some weeds in it.

Is there anything you can think of that comes back year after year. I do have crab trees and flowering crab,red doiser and red twig dogwoods.
I am wondering of some grass spieces, I just can't think of anything you don't have to plant anualy. Thought of wild sunflowers.

Not much in way of perennials that are strong food sources. Kochia or fireweed ain't bad.
yea the ones I mentioned I have realy don't do it for winter either, everything is mostly gone by now. But they help with cover. Most of the land our family has is down south, my place is small here but I still want to doll it up some more. I get up to 60-70 birds once and awhile and think I can do better with some improvements.

In some parts of the country both Russian Olive and Autumn Olive would be options. In other part they are a problem, spreading across the landscape.

Back