Windy day hunting

Bob Peters

I hunted today and it was blowing 20 with gusts up to 30+. I picked good spots, but the dogs often got on a hot scent only to lose it. Also the birds were flushing wild and/or running. Now wind might not be the only factor here as the season is a little older. Anyways what are things you have found success with when it's really windy? I did get a bird by hunting a good looking ditch. And at the golden hour we flushed a lot of birds despite the wind. This may have been timing, or the fact that I picked a nice cover that may have went unhunted that day. I've found birds recently hunting cover that looks very obvious or too thin to be productive. I think others may pass on it. So far, every time I've went pheasant hunting I've learned something.

I suspect that pheasants get more nervous and weary in wind. I know for sure that midwest quail are very hard to hunt in wind. I think they post a guard not unlike geese do. If you watch geese, you'll notice that they might all be asleep except a couple standing tall and watching you back!

I suspect that pheasants get more nervous and weary in wind. I know for sure that midwest quail are very hard to hunt in wind. I think they post a guard not unlike geese do. If you watch geese, you'll notice that they might all be asleep except a couple standing tall and watching you back!
Yes geese always have sentry.

Back