Wind

Good to hear from you Maynard! Hope you are well! Yeah, that area seems to get it's share of disasters. His father's house got flooded a few years back and now this. Getting to an age it is hard to build back!
I hear you. My body doesn't accomplish nearly as much as it used to, but my mind still thinks I can. Work is all I know and I love to work, so far the Lord has given me strength to carry on. Blessings to you and yours.

We got that storm too up here in MN. The winds weren't as strong though, as our terrain is also different. It poured rain here for almost an hour. In the middle of December. Plus thunder and lightning. In December.

Two tornadoes were also confirmed in southeast Minnesota. These are the first tornadoes ever recorded in Minnesota during the month of December.

I don't like it, I don't like this climate one bit. It was hot and dry for almost the entire summer resulting in the worst drought in 20 years, and now we have December thunderstorms.

Any idea on the damage from the fire? I was planning on leaving in a couple weeks to head towards Hays
You get up around natoma and paradise and I think it burned pretty good. I saw a picture of the dust cloud , tribune maybe? It was crazy looked like something out of Lawrence of Arabia. I don’t know how anything could survive that but I’m sure most did. I’m anxious to see some of it I’m sure the tumble weeds are piled up 8’ high

90 mph winds are gonna scrub the earth, especially on flat ground. i imagine all wildlife took a hit as well.
doubt there are many pheasants that survived. going to be a long, slow recovery.

Any idea on the damage from the fire? I was planning on leaving in a couple weeks to head towards Hays
Close to 400k acres burned up in the big fire. Several smaller ones in the area as well. The news coverage doesn't even begin to show the extent of the damages. And you'll probably won't see much more because the general public just sees it as some grass and cows out in KS. It's haunting to drive through the affected area. Prayers to all of those affected.

Close to 400k acres burned up in the big fire. Several smaller ones in the area as well. The news coverage doesn't even begin to show the extent of the damages. And you'll probably won't see much more because the general public just sees it as some grass and cows out in KS. It's haunting to drive through the affected area. Prayers to all of those affected.
We were in Lucas last Jan., while there we saw and called in a fire. It's unbelievable until you've seen it how quickly the fire moves. Way more than grass and cows being effected. Sad ...

I have seen some posts by my friends on Facebook of hay headed into the fire area. There are also some posts on Wildfire & Disaster Relief Ag Community (a Facebook group) about relief for the fire victims. That group had been busy with relief going to the tornado area. Check out that group to follow what relief is happening.

You could burn half the state and still have a surplus of hay in Kansas. I am starting to see the large bales stacked up with "For Sale" signs on them.

Hunting chickens yesterday. Saw 11 roosters on the road in 3 groups. Mid day Acted a little strange could have probably run them over. Hardly ever see birds on the roads any more. 2 flocks of chickens and a couple of pheasants on our walks. Winter chickens are a challenge next time I’ll full choke it.

Last edited:
Go onto youtube and enter four county fire or Paradise fire in Kansas and you can bring up videos showing dead cattle all over, burned of ground with no ashes left except in drifts in the ditches as well as some of what was left of some of the homes that burned. It is horrible! I know what I would feel like if I lost 6 generations of breeding stock in my setters. Some of these cattlemen have lost just that in their cattle breeding. It is a strong hit to take away a man's ability to generate income, take his identity within the breeding, and take away his home. Hard enough to start over at the age of 70. This mountain is straight up. God bless them one and all!

Jeez, that is worst than I was expecting. Prayers for all who were affected.

We didnt go up that way but went somewhere else - I think you'll be here for a few days per your posts - just drive outside of the affected area for the fire - you can find the maps online. I'm just glad the trees didnt have leaves on them the cleanup would be 100x worse. The prairie recovered from the 2011-2012 drought - this is nothing, mother nature will come back. I feel for the folks that lost everything and hope they have insurance.

Thing I noticed where we were at is the amount of topsoil and dust in the grass -- whole state needs a good damp rain for a day or two or a wet snow to settle the topsoil sitting on the grass/plants down to ground level -- I can only imagine how it was during the dust bowl days.

We'll keep heading this way I'm sure with these events -- people will blame climate change bs but forget how we've changed the flora and fauna of the earth and forget that makes a different in the local climate moreso IMO over the long term. Nothing will be done until the buffoons that live on the coasts or the Big Money Tycoons that own farmland or fun wall street have their pocket books affected -- we're just peasants in flyover country to the rest of the US. I think it was Black Sunday that supposedly got Washingtons attention back in the 1920s.

Go onto youtube and enter four county fire or Paradise fire in Kansas and you can bring up videos showing dead cattle all over, burned of ground with no ashes left except in drifts in the ditches as well as some of what was left of some of the homes that burned. It is horrible! I know what I would feel like if I lost 6 generations of breeding stock in my setters. Some of these cattlemen have lost just that in their cattle breeding. It is a strong hit to take away a man's ability to generate income, take his identity within the breeding, and take away his home. Hard enough to start over at the age of 70. This mountain is straight up. God bless them one and all!
I didn't even want to see it. When I heard of these fires going the first thing that came to my mind was the sound of a crying friend, who is a tough ole cowboy, talking about having to borrow bullets from a neighbor because they had to put down so many suffering cattle during the Ashland fire a couple years ago. The pictures he sent I wish I'd never seen. Help all you can folks and pray for these people.

Back