Winchester SX4 or something else?

Wyoguy

Anyone have any experience shooting the new Winchester SX4? The weight seems about right--not too heavy--and on me they really seem to line up with my eye when I shoulder one. I'm just a bit skeptical when a gun is "new and improved" yet cost quite a bit less than it's predecessor, the SX3.
Also liked the Franchi Affinity.

I've shot a Browning B2000 for years, and it's accounted for countless birds, but when I hunt steel shot area's I choose to not use a gun that wasn't built for it. So if steel is the rule, I end up using my duck gun, that really is better made for a blind. So I'm thinking of going with something new, hence the question on the SX4. Any opinion's?

Wyoguy,

I just purchased a remington V3 semiauto, should have it tomorrow. From what I seen the reviews are pretty good, I shoulderd one at a local store, felt good, almost like the ol 870.

I been shooting a A400 xplor, while I like the gun and lack of recoil I have had some issues and it just dont seem to fit me very well, I honestly dont think it fits me as well as the V3 does.

A friend of mine had a franchie 20 ga some years back, liked the gun but one day the magazine tube just pretty much broke off on the shot, stuff flew all over, it cracked and broke off right at the
receiver.

I dont know, the price is right on the v3, around 7.25 pounds for 28" 12 ga., made in usa, I am going to give it a whirl..

Just thought i would mention if you are still looking..

Might want to consider Fabarm L4S. 6 lbs 13 oz, well made, gas, soft shooter, something different. IMO good value for the money.

The Franchi Affinity and Browning Maxxus are both good autos and I believe a little bit less barrel heavy than the Sx4. Browning Silver and Winchester SX3 have the same internal gas system and have a better balance point in my opinion. All including the SX4 are good guns. The Affinity feels way slimmer than all the FN products.

I have read the changes were minimal and can't remember what they said they were but maybe weight was one of them.

Would not bother me to buy a new one.

Buy Franchi Affinity and don't look back. Bought two this year to pheasant and quail hunt with. Son and I took them out of the box and just started shooting. Runs through light game loads for quail and shoots pheasants loads while not killing you. Great gun for the value. From what I have read V3 would also be a good buy. I like the way both shoulder, I just got a better deal on the Franchi.

I bought the SX3 over the SX4, but it's a duck gun. I don't want a lightweight duck gun. The SX3 has to be one of the most proven "budget" guns on the market. They just plain work.

The SX4 just felt cheap to me. I did like its oversized trigger guard though.

No experience with SX4 but a second on the SX3. I spent a season two years ago with one in 20ga. Really enjoyed it.

My son has an SX4 and it is nice! He never cleans it all season and he's chasing waterfowl from Sept 1st to early March. I borrowed it to take pheasant hunting and it was a joy to carry, even liked it more than my Browning Maxus. I'll be picking one up before Fall

I bought a SX4 for duck and turkey hunting and it has performed flawless for the money. Great Gun that always works. Looks great and feels really good on the swing!

Back