Winchester SX3 jamming

Upland4Ever

So I've been doing a lot of dove hunting. I've cleaned, lubed and double checked assembly. It shots one shell and does eject the shell what in the world is going on?

Did you clean the 2 gas ports in the barrel?
Have you tried a different brand of shotgun shells?
There could be plastic build up in the chamber that
causes the shell to stick in the barrel?

Not sure about SxS3 cleaning. I do know that periodic cleaning the chamber is a sound idea.

I wrap some fine steel wool around a cleaning brush and attach the assy. to a drill. Use a little Hoppe's or clp. Wipe clean after the brushing - works good!

Broken ejector? Had this happen on my automatic several years ago...

Can't imagine it's the shell(s) although some guns do not like low brass - not enough to grab?

Last edited:
You might rry to Google: Winchester ss3 not ejecting.

You are not alone with this issue - others have solved their problem with specific break-in strategy that seem to cure the problem...

Could you have a bad spring? Take it in to a gunsmith and have it looked over. If you have gone threw the basic steps that's really your best bet.

So I've been doing a lot of dove hunting. I've cleaned, lubed and double checked assembly. It shots one shell and does eject the shell what in the world is going on?

From what you describe it wouldn't appear to be an ejection problem since it ejects to spent hull. It sounds to me like the next shell is refusing to feed and is maybe getting hung up in the magazine tube. I think a quick trip to a competent gunsmith could easily fix your problem.

Is the next shell feeding back into the receiver at all?

You might rry to Google: Winchester ss3 not ejecting.

You are not alone with this issue - others have solved their problem with specific break-in strategy that seem to cure the problem...

I agree with Jonny to properly break it in you are going to have to shoot 75 to 100 ducks.:eek::D

Or you might just try repeatlidly cycleing it in front of the tv for an evening.

I had a SX2 that was good for a month and turned into a single shot, took it into Ahlmans and they couldn't get the thing to work so they sent it into winchester, got it back at the end of duck season and it fired 2 shells and back to the same 1 and done. After more phone calls I traded it for my first SBE2 because they had no remedy.

That probably didn't help much but a similar sounding problem on the previous model with no fix

I had a SX2 that was good for a month and turned into a single shot, took it into Ahlmans and they couldn't get the thing to work so they sent it into winchester, got it back at the end of duck season and it fired 2 shells and back to the same 1 and done. After more phone calls I traded it for my first SBE2 because they had no remedy.

That probably didn't help much but a similar sounding problem on the previous model with no fix
Thanks. I took it apart and cleaned and put it back together. I'll take it shooting sat well see. Its only 6mths old.

I have had this issue a couple times. The retainer spring located in the butt of gun can break or the tube in self can get corosion built up causing this.
I take mine apart once a year and clean that tube well.....it will shoot like a new gun.
Hope this helps.

Back