Willow Brush question

bigeyes

HI there, can anyone tell me what this bush is or how to get rid of it. It keeps popping up in the middle of our CRP fields. I have tried to hit it hard with roundup and it just can't kill it.

With the leaves off use garlon as a basal bark spray. It won't come back.

With the leaves on use grazon pd it won't come back.

It kind of looks like olive maybe or even jap honeysuckle. Look up these on google images. Where is this field?

Last edited:
Thanks MorrisMike. The land is north of Alexandria, MN a few miles. It seems like the pheasants really like the stuff but we already have a lot in the lower areas and it it taking over fields now.

Thanks MorrisMike. The land is north of Alexandria, MN a few miles. It seems like the pheasants really like the stuff but we already have a lot in the lower areas and it it taking over fields now.

That would be autumn olive. IL has lost thousands of acres of public land to the stuff. Once it takes over, D9s with root plows (single hooks 4' deep) is needed to get rid of it. The best means of control is to decide where you want it and then draw a line in the sand around it. This will require hammering the small trees in the spring with grazon pd and hitting the larger ones in the winter with garlon. You'd be amazed how much ground you can cover with an atv and hand sprayer. You need a critical mass of large bushes for this to get out of hand. Many here like the stuff but be very careful and watch that it doesn't get out of hand - there is no putting that genie back in the bottle if it gets away from you.

UFWS has autumn olive as enemy #1, pheasants #2. They eradicate the olive, It does need to be controlled, but so does prairie grass, getting rid of it is not good for pheasants, that's O.K. USFW is selecting to get rid of " non-native species". I wonder about us?

UFWS has autumn olive as enemy #1, pheasants #2. They eradicate the olive, It does need to be controlled, but so does prairie grass, getting rid of it is not good for pheasants, that's O.K. USFW is selecting to get rid of " non-native species". I wonder about us?

I think you're being a little over dramatic. Determine where you want it to live and keep it from expanding.

I think you're being a little over dramatic. Determine where you want it to live and keep it from expanding.

Why don't you research previous on this particular site. Or the internet, The USFG, doesn't want it anywhere. Russian olives and autumn olives which were planted on national refuges, are singled out as being invasive species, (not native), despite there being a benefit to pheasants, they are being eradicated, to make the national wildlife refuges suitable to native species. Because pheasants are not 'native", ( you can research that too on the internet), pheasants are not factored into the native range theory, needs of habitat, etc. Neither are Huns. Only sage grouse, prairie chickens, sharptails, and of course ducks, geese, swans, etc. So whatever habitat that existed on US National Wildlife refuges that pheasants found a nitch in, will be gone with these "improvements", or drastically reduced, this generally has an affect of lower population levels. Mybe they can authorize oil drilling as well since it doesn't created pollution problems in North Dakota, or Texas wetlands, (according to you), maybe a great addition to Wildlife Refuges? Heck after a few years, it's like they have been there forever! Not like that darn corn! (your agricultural great polluter), next year of course, you can reseed native prairie on that, with no evidence being seen in a couple of years.

Why don't you research previous on this particular site. Or the internet, The USFG, doesn't want it anywhere. Russian olives and autumn olives which were planted on national refuges, are singled out as being invasive species, (not native), despite there being a benefit to pheasants, they are being eradicated, to make the national wildlife refuges suitable to native species. Because pheasants are not 'native", ( you can research that too on the internet), pheasants are not factored into the native range theory, needs of habitat, etc. Neither are Huns. Only sage grouse, prairie chickens, sharptails, and of course ducks, geese, swans, etc. So whatever habitat that existed on US National Wildlife refuges that pheasants found a nitch in, will be gone with these "improvements", or drastically reduced, this generally has an affect of lower population levels. Mybe they can authorize oil drilling as well since it doesn't created pollution problems in North Dakota, or Texas wetlands, (according to you), maybe a great addition to Wildlife Refuges? Heck after a few years, it's like they have been there forever! Not like that darn corn! (your agricultural great polluter), next year of course, you can reseed native prairie on that, with no evidence being seen in a couple of years.
You've got some issues. I'm not a fan of olives but most here swear by them.

Back