WIHA where should i go for dove and quail?

Jonjhawk

Alright, i finally got my vizsla ready for his first season and am wanting to know where is some good WIHA land to hunt with him. I live in Lenexa KS and I would love to keep it within a couple hours to do a day trip but I understand that might not be reasonable.
Also, as dove season starts tomorrow, and am currently attending school at KU, are the dove fields around here worth it?

Last edited:
If you want to stay close to home I recommend Perry wildlife area or walk in in Brown, Nemaha, and Jackson counties. You can find good coveys and a rooster here and there. If you are a pheasant only guy head out to at least Abilene. Another option is to head north in Missouri or Southern Iowa. I've heard good things about pheasants that direction the last couple of years. I think an out of state license in Iowa is around $130.

The managed dove fields are a total zoo on weekends early in the season. I would NOT NOT NOT take a first year dog to one of the managed dove areas under any circumstances during a peak hunting time, like weekends or after 5:00.

As a student, you might have some success at the dove fields, and be able to take your pup if you go during normal working hours if you get a break in classes.

So much water this season might make staking out ponds kind of futile, especially in East KS.

Good luck on the doves and quail. Best advice I can give you is get that hunting map and start walking!:thumbsup: Cross off the places that suck and circle the good ones. By the middle of the season you'll know as much as anybody else.

The managed dove fields are a total zoo on weekends early in the season. I would NOT NOT NOT take a first year dog to one of the managed dove areas under any circumstances during a peak hunting time, like weekends or after 5:00.

As a student, you might have some success at the dove fields, and be able to take your pup if you go during normal working hours if you get a break in classes.

So much water this season might make staking out ponds kind of futile, especially in East KS.

Good luck on the doves and quail. Best advice I can give you is get that hunting map and start walking!:thumbsup: Cross off the places that suck and circle the good ones. By the middle of the season you'll know as much as anybody else.

Right on !!! That's how it's done !!!

Look at some of the managed dove feilds away from population centers or go close to home during the week . You will find decent quail hunting close to home . Flint hills where crop and native grass meet . Those maybe some decent areas for dove as well .

Alright, i finally got my vizsla ready for his first season and am wanting to know where is some good WIHA land to hunt with him. I live in Lenexa KS and I would love to keep it within a couple hours to do a day trip but I understand that might not be reasonable.
Also, as dove season starts tomorrow, and am currently attending school at KU, are the dove fields around here worth it?

I live in lawrence and have a vizsla as well. I hunt the management fields west of town and do well on dove. I however will not take my vizsla out there for dove because the others are right. Those places are a zoo. For quail i do pretty well west of town and perry/ valley falls are not far away either.

thanks for all the help, i guess I should have said I don't plan on taking my dog out for the dove yet. but thanks for all the information!

Back