WIHA encounters

Tallgrass

I know this comes up each year but....

I hunt a lot of walk-in areas throughout the year, before setting foot in a field I always drive the perimeter and check for other hunters. 1. Don't really want to waste time following someone through a field. 2. Don't want to get shot, or shoot someone coming over a terrace, etc when they / I have no idea the other is there.

This weekend I had a few different encounters with others on WIHA's (as expected opening weekend). Sat morning our group got to the field we wanted to start in in the morning early, drove around, no one else there, parked one truck in a very visible spot then drove the other truck around to a corner and parked. Began hunting made our way through the field, made a turn, coming back across, and my son spots 2 guys crossing the same field in front of us, granted they were well out of shotgun range but had they decided to travel in a different direction we could have easily ended up walking right at one another. We decided, not knowing who these guys were and what their plan was, to make our way out of the field and move on.

Same field Sunday morning. I'm getting ready to start, group pulls up rolls down the window, asks which way I'm headed and if I want to either hunt together or mind if they take a portion (which I didn't only a 1/4 section but plenty of ground for us all) We sorted out who was going where so we weren't in each other's way and off I went as did they. While hunting the area I had told these guys I would be in ANOTHER pair of guys jump into the field and just start hunting away, don't think they bothered to see if anyone was around again,
I was able to pretty well keep track of where these two were as I made my way back across the field and to my truck. Went down the road to another spot, that no one bothered to try and shot a rooster, missed another, then headed home.

Ran into the first group I talked to asked how they did, etc., they didn't have much success, unfortunately, seemed like good guys, definitely did things the right way. Don't know if other guys had succes but probably not since I had already hunted much of the area they were in.

Take the time to check fields - particularly relatively smaller spots for other hunters and either move on, or talk with other hunters and make a plan as to who is going where. Just seems to make sense. :)

Drove to South Dakota last Thursday to hunt, got there about 10 minutes before starting time (10 am). Pulled up to the first field that we always start at and there sat a truck. We pulled up and asked them if they were going to hunt, of course they sad yes, we said good luck and headed to another field. The field was huge, we both could of hunted it, but that blows my mind that people do that and I would not feel right doing so.

Yesterday and buddy and I got to some public land at 5:15, pulled into it and sat waiting to see what would happen. About 6:20 another truck pulled up to it and pulled down from us a few hundred yards. They faced their truck the other way, figured they'd head one way and we'd head another. Around 6:40 a truck pulls up and pulls right in between our two trucks 100 yards from each truck, they get out and make all kinds or racket. We had 10-15 birds blow out of the field before we even stepped foot in it. We hunted the field and got a few shots but was nervous the whole time looking over our shoulders waiting to duck once I heard shooting. It makes no sense to me, not any fun hunting this way.

I have family ground to hunt in SW Kansas and for a long time we headed there Opening Weekend and would usually fill a 4 man limit by lunch time. Due to bird numbers, it's been a few years since I've hunted out there. You know the saying "You don't know how good you have it till it's gone", well that could never be more true in my case. I hunt a lot of pubic ground throughout the season, but I believe I'm done with it on Opening Day. Not worth the headache!

No doubt open day and up until thanksgiving is busy. Your examples are why I don't duck hunt much anymore. Duck hunting has become so "cool" that it's an absolute joke these days. There's nearly zero respect for other duck hunters on public ground these days.

To me it's just proper etiquette to not hunt on top of another group, nevermind the obvious safety issues. I guess that isn't being passed down. Shame really.

WIHA Encounters

Opening day I staked my claim at 3:45a.m. ( couldn't sleep ) Six trucks drove bye after 6 a.m. 4 of us and my E.P. started hunting the draw heading west to east half way thru we saw 2 guys and 2 dogs walking the milo west to east. Heard shots bye them(out of gun range) then we saw 3 hunters walking north to south heard shots from them too! (out of gun range) we flushed 2 hens. We headed back to the vehicles in disgust! We discussed our frustration that they surely saw us. No etiquette here bye other hunters. I always drive bye and check and move on if being hunted. My philosophy didn't get to WIHA early enough. What should have been at least over 2 hours of hunting this ground became 45 minutes at the most. Went two my private ground and 3 guys were on this . We waited to speak to them they also received permission from the same landowner. We have been there the last 5 years hunting this ground always between 8 or 9 a.m. always getting into birds. Need less to stay hunting this day was a disappointment. Next day 4 of us my E.P. went to our private ground only flushed up a hen , buddy shot at a long range turtle dove. Went to McPherson Valley wetlands flushed up 1 rooster and nephew had the bird in the bag. OVER ALL not a good opening weekend.

We targeted a half section of WIHA CRP for opening morning. We've all seen the news reports, so we expected some competition. Our "advance party" arrived at about 5 and was first. There were 16 people in our group. By shooting time, we were one of three groups on the field. A group of four on the east edge, a group of maybe 12 on the west edge, and our group down the middle. We all walked north to south (a full mile through) at our own group's pace and there was comfortable space in between.

The group on the west edge didn't take the full pass, so when we finished our pass down the middle, we walked the west edge. We shot birds on both passes. All-in-all, it worked out pretty well. No one was an ass about. I'm sure all of us would have preferred to have it to ourselves, but it worked out.

We targeted a half section of WIHA CRP for opening morning. We've all seen the news reports, so we expected some competition. Our "advance party" arrived at about 5 and was first. There were 16 people in our group. By shooting time, we were one of three groups on the field. A group of four on the east edge, a group of maybe 12 on the west edge, and our group down the middle. We all walked north to south (a full mile through) at our own group's pace and there was comfortable space in between.

The group on the west edge didn't take the full pass, so when we finished our pass down the middle, we walked the west edge. We shot birds on both passes. All-in-all, it worked out pretty well. No one was an ass about. I'm sure all of us would have preferred to have it to ourselves, but it worked out.

Yeh, that's what I'm talking about. Public access is always gonna be crowded the first few weeks of the season. The experienced guys out there know how to do this. It's the "internet" hunters that don't get it. Based on what I believe you are saying, I would have sent an equal number of guys to walk south to north and squeeze the birds in the middle :)

Yeh, that's what I'm talking about. Public access is always gonna be crowded the first few weeks of the season. The experienced guys out there know how to do this. It's the "internet" hunters that don't get it. Based on what I believe you are saying, I would have sent an equal number of guys to walk south to north and squeeze the birds in the middle :)

Agree. I expect to see lots of people out and have no problem making it work for everyone, after all it is public land. I really appreciated the group who took the time to stop and discuss plans so we all could be comfortable. I wish they would have been able to get a bird or two.

It was kinda humorous to me to be able to drive 1/4 mile down the road, had the whole place to myself, and saw just nearly as many birds. Plus I wasn't worried about myself or one of my dogs getting accidentally shot. Sure this spot didn't look as good, but the birds there hadn't been harassed continually. Another week or two and things will calm down quite a bit.

Public land always amazes me. We don't have near the public land in Iowa as you guys have, sometimes it is just crazy how people decide to hunt right next to each other.
I agree with most people if I do a drive by and see another group I tend to keep on driving.

Back