WIHA between Lincoln and Beloit

nc bird man

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am planning a mid January trip to Kansas for pheasant and Quail. I will be staying just south of Beloit and hunting exclusively WIHA. If any one could direct us to some WIHA property that holds good numbers of quail in the area that would be great. We are very careful hunters that do not overshoot coveys and always leave plenty for seed. We are much more interested in the dog work than in the killing. We would never abuse your hot spot. Any information would be much appreciated and repaid in kind if at all possible. You bird hunters from Kansas are fortunate fellows.

Tom

Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can't give you any help on quail or pheasant in the area you are hunting, but, hopefully someone will be along that can give some assistance.

I hunted that area a couple of weeks ago. We did not see any quail. We were pheasant hunting, but didn't see much of them either. Conditions were not exactly great either. Balmy, 58 degrees, sunshine, no wind.

NCbirdman,

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96900&page=3

Follow this link and read the thread titled "Thanksgiving Pheasant hunt" on the page. In case the link doesn't work, the thread can be found under the bird hunting section on www.catfish1.com. There isn't any specific information, but there is an encouraging report for pheasants in that area:thumbsup: It doesn't read like they were after quail, but you'll likely find a few while you're out chasing roosters.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule out finding some quail, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high either. I drove through there on my way back from NW Kansas on Tuesday. I looked at some WIHA areas, but didn't stop because it was 65 degrees and the dogs were done.
If I were you, I would stick to your pheasant areas and consider the quail to be a "bonus" bird. If you hunt a couple days, you will probably see some.

Back