WIA opening weekend versus the rest of the season?

Lark Bunting

I am new to hunting (three years) and have only pheasant hunted twice, once in 2013 and again this year, both times I went out opening day.

I've been told by some co-workers that after opening weekend the birds move off to private property and the WIA fields are pretty scarce of birds. Is this true or is it worth going back out a few times over the course of the season?

I really enjoy being out in the eastern plains, enjoyed the pheasant hunt but I haven't taken a shot yet at a bird. I have seen plenty of roosters and tons of hens but they either flush on the opposite end of the line I'm walking or too far out.

I was thinking of heading back out there but after hearing the numbers really decreases after opening weekend I'm hesitant to waste the time and gas.

Thoughts?

That is a mis perception per se... The WIA's that I have hunted, the birds move off of everyday without pressure...They move to feed or to a loafing area and then back to a roosting area... WIA's usually have at least one of these, but private adjoining land may have the other 2 or 1..... You have to figure out when they leave and when they return naturally or when pressured. Once you figure that out you will not waste as much time and will be successful more often..:thumbsup:

Give it some more chances. What drops off more than pheasants after the opener is the number of hunters-especially if you can figure out a way to sneak out during the week. With the colder, snowier weather there is also a good chance that the birds will be bunched up more and not quite as spooky as when it's a blue-bird 60 deg day.

Keep trying!!
P.O.L.

my favorite quote......you can't shoot anything sitting at home....:thumbsup:

go check different cover at different times of the day......learn, put in your time.

Back