WIA: 3 of my best are no more...

Back to the OP’s lament; WIA came out. Bummer. CO has nothing to do with it, landowner does, that’s who to talk to. The owner is probably giving up $5 per acre taking it out of the program…but that may mean it also came out of a conservation program like CRP as well. I know of some WIA’s that are devoid of any cover, hope they’re not getting paid at the same level good cover brings. Assume not.

I still think it is best to talk to the CO.
Landowner may not want to be bothered. Hopefully the CO has a good relationship with the landowners.
WIA areas sometimes come out then go back in after concerns are met. Sometimes those concerns are monetary which the wia program usually is of little assistance in.
Keep in mind some WIA aren't great but are part of a bigger package.

I still think it is best to talk to the CO.
Landowner may not want to be bothered. Hopefully the CO has a good relationship with the landowners.
WIA areas sometimes come out then go back in after concerns are met. Sometimes those concerns are monetary which the wia program usually is of little assistance in.
Keep in mind some WIA aren't great but are part of a bigger package.
Yeah, can’t hurt…

I have seen WIA areas change ownership and go off the list in more than one state.
Two years ago
One WIA had a real estate sign on it

Here in Ks we have seen many thousands of Acres no longer be in walk in hunting . I think if you follow the Money and see what benefits the landowner the most you will find some answers .

We have seen wheat go from $4.00 a bushel to some getting $13.00 a bushel for wheat , corn going from $4.00 to $7.00
Beans in the go up / increase $ 5 to $8.00 a bushel .

I help a farmer in NE Kansas manage some filter strips in NE Kansas and the cash rent this year will be more than what the filter strips pay . The Taxes go up every year to .

My thoughts a Farmer is a businessman like everybody else and needs to do what benefit his operation the best , bless the Farmers that value habitat and share their land with the public .

Curious to here from those who own land if this is similar .

Here in Indiana, there is no way most guys are going to put anything in c.r.p when cash rent is around 300.00. Also, ground is unbelievably high. Recreational ground is as high or higher than farm ground. Heard a new high yesterday. Someone gave 22k an acer for a 40-acre tract! Most old coal reclaim ground will go 10k an acre just for deer hunting. Land ownership here is quickly becoming a millionaire's game.

See the nearby thread entitled: Pheasant Club.

I have observed such be the cause of the demise of quality WIAs in Michigan 20 years ago.

How long before someone starts selling time shares on such property?

Like in terms of compensation for the landowner (CRP is the obvious one)? Or the overall habitat in an area? Or just what are you getting at here?
I do not know if it happens but I imagine a landowner says hey if I enroll this in wia I also want that in. Pay me for both or none.

Keep in mind wia's are enrolled for multiple years. Time changes everything.

Back