Why so quiet?

nstric

Anyone else think the forum is slow this year? Where are KBell and what have traditionally been the other consistent contributors? I hope all remain well.

Sure would be nice if this domain had a mobile app for easier use. I'm sure that would drive traffic up. Uploading and linking to pictures within this forum is a pain in the rear! Any Admins reading this and care to comment?

Nate - I was wondering the same thing, especially about Kbell. I saw something not too long ago that he was driving down my towards Indianola. That was before season. Still looking for his first great report!

I think the heat may have a few people laying low till it cools off a bit too. Not sure, just a thought.

I snoop around the Iowa threads some. I killed my first ever wild pheasant in Poweshiek county in the early 2000's. I have hunted there two more times since. Last time was 2007 /08. I really enjoyed Iowa and have considered trying it again. Hope you guys have a great year!

Could be the case, sure.

I sent KBell a message -- no response just yet.

Nate - I was wondering the same thing, especially about Kbell. I saw something not too long ago that he was driving down my towards Indianola. That was before season. Still looking for his first great report!

I think the heat may have a few people laying low till it cools off a bit too. Not sure, just a thought.

Good populations are getting smaller and smaller in Iowa. Many areas aren't even worth hunting. I think that is why nobody wants to share their good areas with the world. We are doing OK and the areas we hunt are not vast so I would never post them and invite more pressure. Its like fishing. You can talk terrain and presentation but not spots.

Last edited:
good question on being so quiet, we are seeing birds, better than last year, but not seeing any hunters !! so maybe nobody is hunting so nobody is posting?
however I am on another forum different state, where we went to hunt ducks for 20 years, that forum was having several posts every hour for years, last year it slowed down and this year there was a whole month between posts for ducks, and only on epost on pheasants in the last 30 days. no idea. "LIVE TO HUNT PHEASANTS" but it is interesting to come to this site daily to see hwats up.. and now not much to read, happy hunting

IA at Heart told me about this forum so I'm new to the forum, glad I've just joined at a slow time!

As others have mentioned it's been nasty warm out so far this season, nice to see the 10 day forecast with some lows down in the 20's and no high's that start with a 7 for once!

Not sure what others are seeing but we experienced some really flighty/jumpy birds on opener and the quick hunt I got out for this past weekend. I know i'm dreaming but I would LOVE some snow here soon to hunt in!

IA at Heart told me about this forum so I'm new to the forum, glad I've just joined at a slow time!

As others have mentioned it's been nasty warm out so far this season, nice to see the 10 day forecast with some lows down in the 20's and no high's that start with a 7 for once!

Not sure what others are seeing but we experienced some really flighty/jumpy birds on opener and the quick hunt I got out for this past weekend. I know i'm dreaming but I would LOVE some snow here soon to hunt in!

Hey, glad you found it and welcome. It is definitely slow right now. Lots of good posts though throughout the season. Like you, I am ready for some cooler weather and even some white stuff :) If you get down south, be sure and let me know how you do.

Hey, glad you found it and welcome. It is definitely slow right now. Lots of good posts though throughout the season. Like you, I am ready for some cooler weather and even some white stuff :) If you get down south, be sure and let me know how you do.

Tentatively planning to head down Friday and give it a shot at some of the IHAP and public area's down in a 45 minutes radius from Osceola roughly. Have a friend coming in from out of state who want's to try some quail hunting so we're going to go stumble around and see if we can't find some dumb ones.

Just busy, busy, busy.

I hunt NW Iowa and have seen lots of birds in every spot I've hit so far, high percentage roosters. I've personally shot my limit 3 times out, but this heat has put a damper on things. Of course now its cold today and nobody wants to go.:confused:

20161112_161529_zpso3zpqvjs.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is a late report from the 11th - 13th. 1st trip to Iowa and we had a great time. Hunted Friday, Saturday and 2.5 hrs on Sunday all on public land. Over the course of the 3 days we consistently found that we had a 1 rooster to 4 hens flush rate. Our main challenge was dealing with the wind on Saturday and Sunday. The people we met in town at the restaurants and gas stations were all very friendly and willing to help out some out of state hunters from Wisconsin. A big shout out to the vet that hooked me up with some Rymadil from my dog because I forgot his on my kitchen table back in Wisconsin. This is a picture of the roosters we bagged on Saturday.

We hope to come back very soon.

Last edited:
man I tried to hunt today from noon until about 2:30. the wind was just brutal, saw a few birds but they were pretty flighty just kept flushing out of gun range.

Been awhile since I h ave been on. A Lot going on. I have been out some, but only have 5 in the bag so far. Mostly seems the birds are doing a lot of running. I also havent seen the numbers that I saw last year in the areas that I hunt.
Going to check out some places around Boone tomorrow. I have a new pup that I need to get up to speed.]\

I hope Kbell is ok.

Turns out we were taken to some private properties today. It was a very fun day. The first property held many birds and my first major miss for the day. Why is it that I miss birds that flush 5 ft in front of me?

The last prperty reminded me of ND. Birds were getting up everywhere. Lots of hens, but we managed a few roosters.

Dogs got a lot of good work.

Doc and I have been hunting pretty hard this fall. The weather has made it pretty tough with the first couple of weekends being so hot, then the wind last Saturday. I thought were finally past some of the weather stuff, then I saw highs in the mid 50's tomorrow and Sunday.

I hunt only public land. I have hunted quite a few different areas of the state this year. My observations indicate lower bird numbers than last year in general, but pockets at or better than last year. The roadside report said the snow from last winter and some spring rains affected hen survival and nesting conditions in some areas of the state that I have hunted. What I have seen supports that. I have hunted a few areas with noticeably fewer hens than this time last year.

To date we have come home with 20 birds. This includes 4 limits. My shooting has been better than last year. This is Doc's second year. Last year she was 10 months old when the season started. She progressed a ton during the year last year. This year has been good from day one. I really enjoy watching her get on a running bird and figure it out. Her bird finding ability is uncanny.

Nope. KP and I hunted together today and were talking about that - not hearing from Ken.

That is to bad. Is there no way to track down contact info from this site. Or snoop his posts for clues as to who we can contact to check on his well being.

Back