Why do you got what you got?

Lost count of how many Goldens I've had. Right now we have 4 which is a good number since my wife and I both hunt and that gives them a break. The only change we have is that over the years we have gone to field lines rather than backyard or confirmation lines. What we have right now are smaller short haired dogs. Easier to deburr and fit into smaller spaces(I can put 2 in a 400 crate if necessary). A big plus for us is that they are also great agility dogs, we run up there with the border collies. I always said when I get really old I would get a pointer, but since I'm only 70 I will probably get another golden. Both the wife and I use Beretta 686's in 12 ga. For whatever reason we seem to shoot them well, relatively I should add.

LpLost count of how many Goldens I've had. Right now we have 4 which is a good number since my wife and I both hunt and that gives them a break. The only change we have is that over the years we have gone to field lines rather than backyard or confirmation lines. What we have right now are smaller short haired dogs. Easier to deburr and fit into smaller spaces(I can put 2 in a 400 crate if necessary). A big plus for us is that they are also great agility dogs, we run up there with the border collies. I always said when I get really old I would get a pointer, but since I'm only 70 I will probably get another golden. Both the wife and I use Beretta 686's in 12 ga. For whatever reason we seem to shoot them well, relatively I should add.

6C4CAAF9-F5D6-43F1-B414-66C6E8C2D108.png

Last edited:
Josie is the sixth field bred golden for me, first one was born in 1979. All had hunted with their predecessor. Good hunting friend and I have had four sets of littermates. We hunt waterfowl to quail, mostly midwestern states or provinces. What I value most in my dogs have been prey drive and the nose knows. Some dogs might need 2000, 200 or 20 molecules. Mine just need two. Two of them have been phenomenal flash pointers, they trail first then point when overwhelmed by scent. They would hold point until command “fetch” and always within 6 ft. They are given lots of opportunities, my job as their owner. Guns are 12ga for waterfowl, usually Benelli, Ethos, M2 and Vinci. Why? I like boom, boom and boom. Guns are 20ga for upland, Beretta O/U in various grades and S/S in 470 and 471. SKB 200 is my go to grouse and woodcock weapon. Why? I like boom, boom. These guns are dependable and I don’t tire out carrying them. I remain quick and just flat out kill with them. One dog, one flush, one shot, one retrieve. We all enjoy our dog work and admire someone else’s. I got you by two years ASC. This has worked for me and fine tuned for over 50 years. Just my $.02 and surround yourself with a good wife and fine hunting friends

Good topic. I have the dogs I do because the way I hunt, and my location, etc. Leads me to believe they are the most versatile breed for me. My 4x4 bird dog. I have had labs, and pointers over the many years. And all have faded away long ago. I fell in love with my dog of choice. Since then I went all in. Field trials, a breeding program. Judging, gunning field trials etc. I am in the game for good. I love my dogs now, and I have no desire to change again. I am sure everyone has their reasons. I love a dog with the desire to retrieve, and willingness to please me. A "Me" dog. I let them out to potty, and when done, they are at the door wanting to be with me again. Not a mile down the road humping the neighbors Shepard. They can flat out find birds, and swim as good as any lab. They do not quit. They do not lose fallen game, and can trail out moving game very well. They get in the junk, so I don't have to, unlike my pointers of the past. They hunt with me, and not 400 yards from me. My pointers would run wild hundreds of yards away. Point a bird, great. But chase all the rest of the birds off in the process. You walk out 200 yards to see a hen on point, while watching the 30 roosters fly out earlier. Drove me nuts. If I were strictly a water hunter, I likely would have kept a lab. But I gave up duck hunting. My ESS will change it up from day to day on any bird species, and could care less. As long as it flys, its fair game to them. Then it all ends up on the bed at night, with a good foot warmer.

Back