why do I see dogs with 3 collars?

primalphil

So I'm getting my first gun dog soon and started working on gearing up for him. I was looking at getting his collar and noticed quickly that there are tons to choose from. Then I started seeing pictures of dogs wearing 3 at once?! Now I know of your standard collar like a center ring safety collar that leash up to and have your ID tag on. I'm also aware of the e-collar and how it's used for more advanced training as well as it's uses in the field. I just can't seem to figure out what the 3rd collar would be. I'm sure this seems like a silly question to you veterans, I'm just curious as to what I'm seeing and why some of these dogs necks seem so loaded up.

I suspect you are seeing a dog with a standard collar, an e-collar and a tracking or beeper collar on at the same time.

If I were just starting out with a pointing dog, I would buy a garmin Alpha. It is at tracking and training collar all in one. But they are pricey.

Collars

Yea, you got your everyday collar with ID, then you have options; electronic, beeper, locator,vibration, gps , ect. If you need a combo. of these functions and dont have the cadilac all in one unit and have built up an assortment of collars that vary in their performance of the features you like ; you can get in a situation where you are putting 3 collars on the dog. I dont run 3 collars, but have a couple times in the past. Probably need to rethink your set-up if your running 3 collars routinely. I can see it where you have the gps only unit, the e-collar and the plain collar cuz the $ just work better.

collars

1. everyday collar with tags.

2. e-collar //// hearing aid!

3. GPS collar.

This is the menagerie mine wear. It won't be changing until I can afford the combo gps / ecollar units.

3 collars

I agree with Setternut. The alpha does it all. Using it you have the e collar and locator all in one. Expensive, yes, but using a good quality beeper e collar combination will cost about 1/2 the price of the Garmin. I feel the added cost of the Garmin is justified since you know the location of dog at all times. A beeper is useful but you do not know the location of your dog if the beeper sound cannot be heard. Plus I believe the loud sound produced by the beeper may harm the dogs sense of sound.

Back