Why can't we all get along?

beaker

I have recently rescued a 7 month GSP from a family that was going to have him euthanized, now after 4 weeks of interaction with my other two dogs, my thirteen year old lab mix is becoming more and more aggressive towards the "newbie" and the rest of the family. The lab mix has health issues which is part of the problem and I am starting to understand all the dominant aggressive behavior he is exhibiting

the new GSP and my other GSP play well with one another and seem to have established their "pecking order"

so my questions are

1. anyone experience this and have any insight?
2. should the two dogs have figured out the hierarchy by now?
3. what if anything can I do in regards to training?

the rescue GSP is a male, the lab mix is a male and my other GSP is a female

I am concerned with the old dogs behavior becoming increasingly aggressive

"everyone is an expert on one thing, their opinion" - I need some expert advice

If he is 13 i wouldnt worry about it much probably all bark, just doesnt want to mess with them, as far as health issues they can cause a dog to be very grumpy,

If there together just set a standard you want them to behave too, and make the old boy mind his manners...

When Gunne came home on March 23, Tony my 10 year old Brit was really bent out of shape. He was down right mean to Gunne the first week. Then he started to mellow. Now 7 weeks later, they are the best of friends. Tony even at his old age asks the pup to play. I do go out of my way to make sure Tony knows he is still my dog and I love him. I take him and the pup for a run daily and they even enjoy doing that together. The pup runs some with Tony and at times alone. At 13, I think the Lab Mix is to old to want a pup around. He could be in so much misery from the health issues it is making him cranky...............Bob

getting along

:bob,
i think tony ,is just like all of us ,that are getting a little on the old side of life. yougster comes in and, you being the old guy, get just a little worried about, your job. cant trust the fng, that be gunne, in your case. however, few weeks go by, and the old guy( that be us or tony) , after letting the f.....g new guy, (gunne) know his place, you start to warm up to he new guy. i dont know , made me laugh:D:D:D:cheers:

Jmac, you are right Tony has put Gunne in the corner a few times. But as He learns nothing between him and I have NOT changed. The more relaxed he gets. It is the little things that I find count. Like keeping the pup in his sleeping crate and letting Tony in my bedroom while I dress in the morning..............Bob

bob

yup, bob,
tony, thought your going to put him down. the knew dog, gunne, made tony , a little concerned about, his job. might of made tony think about his age. dogs, are smarter than most people give them credit for, ok , not always. :thumbsup: newbys, make me sweat sometimes too. thx:)
scott

I bought a new GSP pup almost 1 1/2 years ago and at first my old GSP didn't pay any attention to him then after about 3 weeks he jumped on the pup. I have tried a few times to put them together but my old dog jumps on the new one. They are in crates next to each other every night but the old one just won'y have anything to do with him. Maybe in time your dogs will get along but then again maybe not.

my female lab is the matriorch of the kennel she will put up with the other dogs as long as it is on her terms and she will put them in their place if need be but shrtly after the issue is soon resolved and back to normal she is 6 and not up to snuff as far as health either but she has been this way since she was a year old

I would like to add a little update here. Tony has accepted the pup pretty well. The pup has learned not to do certain things. Like come into my office when Tony is here. He stays in door and waits for me to throw him the same treat I just gave Tony. I know have to have 2 of everything. For what Tony gets Gunne gets too. It was a rainy cold day here so the dogs were in more than usual. Tony was the one that would get Gunne into playing with him.......Bob

Update

my old GSP and the youngster have figured it out, seems like the "ole lady" (my GSP) has got some spring back in her step playing around with the new arrival, she does draw a line in the sand and if the youngster isn't playing by her rules will put him in his place

the lab mix is a different story, seems like there is a knock down drag out almost ever day now; the lab mix will take every opportunity to get a piece on the "the new kid on the block", it is extremely frustrating to say the least - the worst part of the whole deal is that the lab mix is extremely aggressive when the wife is home (he is her dog and he has always been protective of her)

any advice would be appreciated

oh yeah, found out the the new rescue is actually 10 months old not 7 as I originally posted

Could really use some help!

this morning the lab mix took it to the "younger", never knew a dog could bleed that much - several puncture wounds and a few torn patches of hide - second worst dog fight I have every been part of; the aggressiveness of the lab mix has been increasing over the last week and a half

any suggestions?

I have been in the middle of fights like that and have the scares to prove it. Never did find a solution between my two dogs. Mine was a little bit different of a case though. My wife and I split for a couple of months and I had all three dogs. Boxer, Vizsla and my lab. When we started talking again and she would come over the Visla would be very aggressive towards the lab. I don't know what her leaving and coming back did but it changed everything. All I can recommend is stop the aggression at the first sign but be careful as the other dog will try to come and then start the fight. It is very tricky to actually submit the aggressor while keeping the other dog at bay. Good luck to you and if you have kids make sure to tell them to never get in the middle. The dogs will bite at anything. I had four punctures in my leg. Five in my hand and my wife got two in the face. That was a fun hospital trip...

Back