Why are hunters not wearing orange.

elkhunter

Why are hunters not wearing orange. I do not understand this. I try to be a very safe and resposible hunter. My 10 year old son has been walking with me this season.(I think to watch his best friend our 3 yr old black lab) I try to drive around a walk in area to make sure no one else is hunting it. If someone is hunting it I drive on to the next one. Three times this season we have been walked in on. One time we heard a shot, turned around and a hunter with no orange was less than 100 yds away. Another time we were in really thick cover, came out of it and had a hunter with no orange 50 yds away. I think this is super dangerous and really not smart. I see no advantage to not wearing orange. For everyone's sake PLEASE WEAR ORANGE especially a hat!

When I am in groups I always wear orange... but when I hunt alone, I sometimes try to be as covert as possible, esp late season when they are more spooky... But can't imagine that anyone would not realize I was there in the areas I normally hunt... maybe in trees or river bottoms... but not in crop circle corners...

I got shot in the face this fall dove hunting... Had to get a bb pulled from my forehead. And I was wearing an orange hat at the time... But I will always wear glasses now.

My story starts as..."Well, I was hunting with Dick Chenney, and..........."...:laugh:

Wearing Orange

The recommendation to wear orange is similar to that for wearing a seatbelt and shoulder harness. It's for your own protection. The same thing applies for eye protection. Both precautions are especially valid when hunting with inexperienced hunters, or in a large group, or on public walk-in properties---especially on weekends early in the season. If you see me in a group you'll need sunglasses to cut the blaze orange glare from my outfit and my dogs'.
PairOfLabs

The recommendation to wear orange is similar to that for wearing a seatbelt and shoulder harness. It's for your own protection. The same thing applies for eye protection. Both precautions are especially valid when hunting with inexperienced hunters, or in a large group, or on public walk-in properties---especially on weekends early in the season. If you see me in a group you'll need sunglasses to cut the blaze orange glare from my outfit and my dogs'.
PairOfLabs

:thumbsup:

Me and the dogs wear orange regardless of whether or not I'm alone or not.

Back