Why a Pointer

Yes G, I would have to agree with you 180% on that one I do remember walking for hundreds of miles and never getting a bird up even when you just saw one of the little buggers land. Then to find it if you hit one, I always said a rooster could hide on a pool table:thumbsup: I will never go again with out a dog or someone who has one. But Like I said to the original post in my first sentance "If that is what you want get one I would" Pointer that is.:D

Let me explain some things about me. I am retired and 75 years old, I hunt Pheasant during the season 5 days a week, in the off season Tony gets run everyday in an area that has resident quail. That is if I am able and weather permitting. Tony was 9 years old last Sept.1. Now a dog that has as much work as he gets in the field. Has ample opportunity to teach himself how to handle Pheasants. Like I said he taught a lot of the stuff he does to himself. Some is just natural ability. I have been hunting Pheasant since 1954. I was introduced in an area called Rochester, MN. I lived in St. Paul. Tony is in my book the brittany I have ever hunted behind. I sometimes wonder if it is the fact I have more time for him. He gets to hunt and excerise more. I don't know but I dread seeing him grow old.---Bob ......Say guys I'll be here for quite a while just call me Bob please.

well bring that young dog to Alex next year Bob and Show me that thing he taught himself, that is the stuff I like to here about in a dog,"natural ability" and that is what I put in my breeding program.I like when someone who got a pup calls and tells a story about there dog impressing the other hunters and when they ask who trained the dog they reply No one, He just did it on there Own. It takes special blood flowing in there vains for what you are describing.:thumbsup:

Bob & FC,

Sounds a lot like my Brittanys. I have been often asked who trained my dogs and my general response is "No one". I taught them obedience and got them in the field a lot. They did the rest.

Bob, treasure these last few years with Tony. I had to put my 13 year old male down last September. It was really tough. Still get teary eyed when I think about him. I've got a 5 year old female and 3 weeks ago I picked up another female pup. Can't wait for the snow to leave so I can get her in the field. Glad to see you're still in the field at 75. I'm 62 and been hunting pheasants for 52 years. Started when I was 10 in SW Minnesota. Don't plan to stop any time soon. :)

FC and DZ, I have no intention of stopping my hunting and shooting activities anytime soon. I had to put a good Brittany down 10 years ago. He was 13 and ran over to a tree to go and had to lay down he couldn't make it back. The tree is about 5 yards from my door. I am not one to watch a dog suffer no matter how much I love them. I took him to the vet and came home him without him. It took me close to a year to get another pup Tony. DZ you mention SW MN I fond memories of Hutchinson and Le Sauer. The farmers there were outstanding I have never hunted around people like those. One was having a birthday party my Uncle and I Muddy and Wet from the fields. It was raining. We had to come in for Cake and Coffee. I will admit that was back in the late 60's, things could have changed by now. I still have relatives in the Twin city area. But i have not been back there for around 5 years. It is about 1200 miles from here and I just cannot get the ambition to drive that far anymore. Most of real close friends and relatives have passed on.

Last edited:
bob,

Oh yes, the good old days. I grew up in Canby. Pheasants were almost gone in that area for many years due to farming practices, chemicals, etc. but they have made a pretty good come back. Not like it was in the 50's and 60's but not bad. I usually go back to the Canby area a couple times a year and meet up with some old friends for a few days of hunting.

I lived in the Twin Cities area in the 70's and hunted a lot west of Northfield. Ran into a couple of farmers that let me hunt whenever I wanted. I had gotten permission from one guy prior to the season starting. Opening day myself and two others went down there to hunt. Just so happened that he was moving that day from one farm to another. We spend a couple hours helping them load household items and from that day on I always had a place to hunt. Didn't even have to ask. He knew my vehicle and just said to come any time. That's a rarity today.

DZ

Back