Who's going out this weekend?

Im still working on no 1.

keep at it. Try to get back out we were before the snow comes in later tomorrow. It doesn't have to be first thing in the morning. They like to scratch around in the giant ragweed later in the day too. I know it's a large area for one guy but the birds are back there.

God bless all those souls braving this stuff today:D It's going to be a chiller. lol

Crushed em yesterday and scratched a couple out this morning at a brand new spot. What a great weekend. You can't shoot birds from your keyboard boys. Saw probably 80-100 birds and the two spots were over an hour apart.

Build the habitat and they will come

Ok well stay at it man. What cover are you hunting? Do you have no one to go with? Dog? Time of day?

Let's see if we can help guide you the right direction here.

Draht and pp are very similar... bred for hunting... I will say the draht is more "gruff" ... where pp is sillier personality

PP's are one of the dogs that make up the DD. I had a SM in my group at the Oberlander in MN last year that was unbelievable. We need to have an all German hunt sometime!

Ok well stay at it man. What cover are you hunting? Do you have no one to go with? Dog? Time of day?

Let's see if we can help guide you the right direction here.

Don't feel all too sorry for him.:D He has a wild Montana rooster with a 25/26 inch tail sitting in my shop freezer right now, plus he bumped a few wild birds the other day. He's catching up with them.:)

P.s.--Nice bunch of birds you and the others took out there! I'm delighted to hear about a habitat/wild IL success story. Please keep posting photos and details as to what you're seeing out there:cheers:

Guys we there is established habitat there are good numbers this year. By that I mean 3-4 year old stands with good clumpy type cover... mix of switch , foxtail, and other thicker stemmed grasses. Take all that brome and get it the heck out of there. Seen great numbers along ditches to big blocks to 5-10 acre patch. But if it's choked out by broke numbers aren't as good.

We have taken 77 wild roosters... hope to shoot 100+... I'm not saying this being cocky. I'm saying that if u put in the work and weather cooperates you can have good birds. Global warming could be a good thing for our bird numbers honestly. We have seen such freaking huge and healthy birds it's crazy.

Great question !!

Honestly there's been a nice mix of young and old. If I had to put number I'd say it's close to 50/50 on first year birds to second or third year birds... maybe a hair heavy on younger side.

But I can tell you we have shot some of the OLDEST birds I've ever seen this year. 1" spurs and longer... one had 1"plus spur and another set starting about 1/4" long.. double spur!! Crazy!!

The breasts on these birds are massive!!! Like they are body builders... not fatty... thick muscle.

We have noticed an uptick in running birds after being shot. Finding most but they just aren't going down easy.

Back