Who's going out this weekend?

1pheas4

Anyone getting out for the N. IL opener? I think you guys farther south have to wait another week or so right?

Nick

Yep, we are hoping to get out on some public and private ground here in central Illinois. Most if not all the crops are out which will really help, hopefully we get a little cool down as well.

Boys and I are going both days, all upland game starts on Nov 7 for the entire state the ending weeks differ for Northern and Southern Zones. Traditionally the upland season is the first Saturday in November. Going to public ground both days hopefully with good luck. It will be interesting with new dog but she will do fine. Good luck to all and be safe.

I will be heading out Sunday. Can't do Sat but we have a big group hitting the back-country in Iroquois county. (and maybe a little into Ford as well)

It's about that time of day when those roosters are leaving the corn fields and coming into rooster. Hopefully some of you will find a few of those roosting birds in the morning.

To those of you getting out, good luck tomorrow. When you get a chance drop in and let us know how you did. Photos of those wild Illinois roosters would be appreciated:D

Last edited:
I only wish I was hunting wild birds in the am. Hunted many many years in Livingston co. All gone now. I'll be at the chain tomorrow hunting pen raised but better than nothing. Good luck to all who still have places to hunt wild birds. You are fortunate.
Bob

There's some wild birds out there too. A friend saw a hen with a brood. I'm guessing after tomorrow they'll learn to stay away. Lol

I used to hunt Livingston also. Man did they have the birds! No longer the case.

Nick

Being just a couple miles north of COL I walk it quite a bit throughout the year, Ive seen hens a few times in summer. Nick, you got my envelope? ( not so private, private message) :D

Yep. All good Mike thank you. I'll get him prepped and on salt this week then it's off to the tannery.;)

Are you getting out at all over the weekend?

Nick

We bagged 2 birds yesterday and my oldest nailed one this morning. Great weekend overall, nice weather and a few birds to see so all went well. I will try to post some pics but I am quite the novice when it comes to getting them on but will figure it out.

We hit some walk in public ground and was able to get 2 birds. Ended up being a pretty good day. The others made fun of my new wing shooter Irish setter boots, but by the end of the first walk I was the only one with dry feet.

Thanks for the report guys. 100%, looks like you have a worker standing there.;)

Nick

I went our Saturday and Sunday.Opening day was alittle disappointing,hunting one of my favorite crp fields(60 acres) we only saw 4 roosters and no hens.I love seeing hens for they are the future of our pheasant population.Usually this field will have 15-20 birds in it so I was alittle surprised.We harvested two of those birds,went to a 50 acre crp field,saw 3 roosters there,once again no hens,and finisheded our limit.
Expected to see alot more birds than we did but noticed that the birds did have their track shoes on making it difficult for the dog to pin them down.(we only shoot pointed birds).Checked another piece of property I was planning on hunting next weekend only to find someone hunting it.I have sole rights to these lands so I walked out to meet the guy,asked who gave him permission to hunt here.He said he has been hunting this property for 20 years and Joe farmer said it was ok back then.I informed him joe farmer sold this property 10 years ago and the present owner does not allow anyone one here but me.He said he was very sorry and would stay off it for now on.Hard to get real made at him but wouldn't you check with the landowner every year to make sure it was still ok to hunt???
Sunday hit a filterstrip farm,was unable to hunt the best ditch due to the landowner tilling the field nearby so settled for one of the shorter ditches,saw 16 birds,13 roosters and 3 hens.The dog pointed 3 of the roosters,bumped one,and 12 got up within 10 feet of me aI was watching the dog out in the distance.
Both days the birds seemed to be running,maybe due to the warm weather.
I did not see the army of pheasant hunters I usually do(lots of CRP land around me),either day nor did I hear many shots fired.
Passed by a couple PHA areas on my way home each day and at noon they were still being hunted.
Hopefully this isn't a sign of the rest of the season.

Last edited:
We hit some walk in public ground and was able to get 2 birds. Ended up being a pretty good day. The others made fun of my new wing shooter Irish setter boots, but by the end of the first walk I was the only one with dry feet.

That's a very nice looking dog you have!

Thanks! It's actually my hunting partners 3yr old GSP. She's definitely a hard worker since she's our only dog. I'm not quite sold on GSPs but would love a Brittany.

Colorado opener

Definitely going out for the opener this weekend in Colorado. Bought some birds to tune up the dogs. My brother and his friend came up and we placed birds out. Everything went great and my main dog Pepper(not pictured) pointed and retrieved flawlessly. The little Cocker in the picture, Bowser, got his licks in with a flush and retrieve as well. He is a fun dog to hunt with and really enjoys it!

Can't wait for Saturday morning, like a kid at Christmas.

:cheers:

Made it out on Saturday morning in Iroquois County. Killed two birds before noon, but only saw six. A little disappointing, but about what I expected. It was pretty warm. Hopefully it will get better with a little colder weather.

Trip to South Dakota was good. I think Dakota was about the same as last year. Warm up there to. In the 70's 2 out of the 4 days I was up there.

Wasn't able to get out over the weekend but got out for the first time today. My Dad and I were able to get three. We walked three separate ditches. First we saw 3 roosters, 2 hens, and 1 coyote. My dad got one rooster on his way to block for me and I got the coyote. Second ditch we saw 5 hens and 1 rooster that flushed wild. Last ditch we got two roosters off solid points from the dog in the pic. Overall I was pleasantly surprised considering how warm it was. Thought the birds would be out feeding today.

Only opening day. Seemed pretty good early but warmed up too much and got a bit breezy. Our group only killed 3 cocks, saw lots of hens and watched as Hudgens missed all sorts of birds on the neighboring property (or someone who looked like him!). That group kicked up a pile of cocks and shots 9 times not ruffling a feather on a multitude of cocks!

Hoping to go out this Sat weather permitting.Then again next Thurs.

Back