Who's going out this weekend?

I got out for a quick hunt yesterday evening. Dog bumped a hen. He got on another bird but it headed towards some buildings. Had to pull him off that one.

Other than that there were a lot of geese and deer back there. It was nice time to be outdoors.:)

Nick

:thumbsup:
I got out for our PF chapter youth hunt today. Have to say I wasn't sure what to expect but I had a great time. Nothing like seeing the young ones shoot their first birds. Also some good bonding between parents and youths.

If you've never helped, volunteer for your areas next youth hunt, you will love it.

Be sure to get a kid out to the field, even if it isn't your own, they are the future of the sport. Be present!

+1! :10sign:

I have been able to get out today and last Monday. Got my limit hunting by myself on a couple ditches in Ford county last Monday. Saw about 12 birds total. Today me and buddy got 2 but with better shooting should have had our limit. We were only able to hunt for 2 and 1/2 hours before the rain had us running for the car. I can hunt in about anything but a consistent rain. We saw 12 today as well. 6 roosters and 6 hens. That was most hens I have seen this season. I was starting to get worried about the lack of hens.

Seems like everyone here s at least seeing some birds which is a good sign.

Heading to North Dakota mid week. Looking forward to it and the weather forecast looks good.

I have been able to get out today and last Monday. Got my limit hunting by myself on a couple ditches in Ford county last Monday. Saw about 12 birds total. Today me and buddy got 2 but with better shooting should have had our limit. We were only able to hunt for 2 and 1/2 hours before the rain had us running for the car. I can hunt in about anything but a consistent rain. We saw 12 today as well. 6 roosters and 6 hens. That was most hens I have seen this season. I was starting to get worried about the lack of hens.

Seems like everyone here s at least seeing some birds which is a good sign.

Heading to North Dakota mid week. Looking forward to it and the weather forecast looks good.

Where are you located in ford county?

I got out for about an hour last Thursday down in Lee County. One hen, one old rooster. The rooster was just in range/out of range so I didn't take the shot.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to get out within the next few days.

Anyone else get out this past week?

Nick

One of my buddies struck gold and we drew Sibley for last Sunday. Ended the day with a five man limit, plenty of birds still out there as well. Did better on that hunt than the three days in SD.

I've been out a handful of times in the the last two weeks. Been bringing a co-worker who is new to pheasant hunting a few times and have seen a lot of birds this year. I try to get out on my own whenever I can because I am just use to it being my dog and I and I feel like we have better luck just the two of us. Went out yesterday around noon to get an evening bow hunt in for deer and as I was walking down a fence line to my stand I kicked up 6 roosters. It's been a good year for pheasants.

I hit a state controlled site a few days ago. A "roosters only" site--no hens.

The dog flushed 3 wild hen's, one wild rooster, and 3 released birds. I saw a lot of rabbits too.

The wild rooster got away. He flushed in the nastiest of stuff. Tall/thick willow whips. I'm using that as my excuse.:rolleyes:

All and all a great time pheasant hunting.

Nick

I was at Green River in Friday and struck out. Had another guys dog work out in front of us and put up two birds and that was about it. My pup bumped a hen out of some phragmites and got birdy once. It was quite a bit different than our November hunt there.

I was there on Friday too. You many not have noticed, but I was the tall, dark, and handsome one:D:D.

A friend of mine happened to be down there on Friday too. I didn't know it until they called him to the front desk.

Small world.

Do you have any more permits for Green River?

Nick

Lot of room in there for interpretation buddy! :D

Lol. I was taking a break from air-brushing a northern pike when I posted that. I'm blaming it on the fumes.

Did your pup let you sleep at all last night?

Nick

Last edited:
My buddy and I crept in just as Frank was going over the rules and regs. I'm all booked up with work the rest of the controlled season so I won't be down there again. What section did you end up with on Friday?

I started out on the west end. I like to hunt wetlands/cattails. Though I have to say it was very wet back there. My dog kept getting birdy only to follow birds into the water. They were running through water up to the top of my boots.

Normally I'd allow the dog to follow such birds but I wimped out. Didn't feel like hunting with wet feet so we stuck with the dryer patches of ground.

I think you and your buddy walked in just behind me. I walked in around that time too. If I would have known I would have had you two tag along.

Nick

I may be off on Friday and might try to get I n a hunt somewhere, pending approval from the boss. I guess we'll see how the back half of the week turns out.

I was out for a quick hunt this morning. Didn't flush any birds. A few birds ran ahead onto the next property, another ran about 20 yards in front of me and the dog. He pulled a Houdini on us:confused:. I don't know how birds disappear so fast like that---especially when they are so close.

I Heard two roosters cackle too. Wish I could take the whole day to hunt!

Sandprairie did you make it out this morning?

Nick

Unfortunately I had some night shift dropped on me at the last minute so it doesn't look good for this weekend. So it looks like it will be game farms and door knocking to get the pup on more birds before season end.

Rain and mud---Rain and mud. I suppose that would be the theme for our 2015 pheasant season.

Any luck out there?

Nick

Back