where to get birds??

gsp4life

im going to start training as soon as the snow gets off the fields. i need birds (quail, pigeons) anyone have any ideas. i know there is a company out there that can send 16 quail to my door but its almost $200 any ideas anyone?

I would check around to see if you can get pigeons locally. If you are looking for birds that you will plant once and shoot or release, one option is to check at local flea markets. I've seen them for sale for $5 or less. Don't get homers or fancy pigeons they run pretty high.

I've had pretty good luck trapping pigeons with a $40 pigeon trap that I bought from Cabelas. I place the trap in a barn where there are lots of pigeons and put corn in it. If you prop open the doors for a couple days, the birds will get used to going inside. Then drop the doors and you will have birds the next day. I've also had good luck placing the trap under overpasses or bridges where there are a lot of pigeons.

If you have a hunting preserve near by, check with them to find out where they buy birds. They usually have a local supplier of flight-conditioned birds. Unfortunately, most suppliers don't have flight-conditioned quail available until the early fall.

Good luck. Let us know if you have any luck finding training birds.

JLMyers

im going to start training as soon as the snow gets off the fields. i need birds (quail, pigeons) anyone have any ideas. i know there is a company out there that can send 16 quail to my door but its almost $200 any ideas anyone?

Craigs List may have pigeons and quail.

Back