Where do you want your pheasants?

landman

There are certain revelations that occur when you own land that might not be apparent otherwise. One of those is the difference between the Macro and Micro view point of pheasant management. I've learned that those in the wildlife profession tend to look at, and study, pheasants in a Macro point-of-view. In otherwords they are looking at the total pheasant population in a very wide area and they tend to focus on nesting and winter habitat being key to supporting and retaining a healthy population overall.

In contrast the individual landowner seeks to find an area that supports good nesting habatat in the general area and seeks to develop the type of habitat on his own land where the birds wish to be during the hunting season.

So, if you want to have the very best hunting land then focus on finding an area with lots of grassland within about a two mile radius. It is more important to have grass on the neighbors land than it is to have it on your land. Finding an area next to a Wildlife Production area is almost ideal because you know its going to stay in grass for a long time.

Then get to work building a place that the birds will go to after the crops are harvested and the snow begins to fly. That means, switchgrass, big bluestem, food plots, cattail sloughs and short to medium sized trees and shrubs.

It is very important that you have the very best winter habitat in the immediate area. If you don't you may find yourself birdless in December.

Don't use last year as an example because the opposite occured due to the late harvest and unharvested corn over the winter. This is a very abnormal situation. The standing corn was the best cover available late season so the birds stayed there rather than moving into the normal winter cover. This situation will occur only in about one year out of 25.

Another factor is the time of year you typically hunt. If you only hunt the first or two weekends then all you need is some grass, fencelines and sloughs. But if you hunt all season long and really enjoy late season then buy some land and make it the best place to go when the crops come out and the snow flies. With that in mind start with trees, then food plots and followup with some wetland restoration for cattails and tall native grasses.

Last edited:
Thanks, I gues I am on the right track, thats exactly what I am doing. Right down to the Management area. There is also several acres of private with the grasses and more being added this year to the wild life. It should be getting good around hear in a few years. Well it has been good but should get realy good. Seems the freezing rain hurt the birds but there should be enough left to bounce back.Nice to see some dirt in the fields finaly.:thumbsup:

Keep talking Landman.....I'm taking notes. Your advice may come in handy for me much sooner than I'd once expected. A couple of raises and a relatively humble lifestyle have left me w/ enough extra money at the end of the month to start shopping for my first 40 or 80 acre tract. Considerations for KS land could be slightly different from the considerations for SD land, but the thought process is similar. Thanks for the info and please keep it coming.

Landman, I want em in my game bag, that's where I want my pheasants!:D

KB, buy that piece of ground. You'll never be sorry you did. The habitat model for a 40 should be the same for 400 or 4000 acres.

I like my pheasants in the bag too :D

I will buy that piece of ground and thanks for the tip!

Back