When to train

JonS

I've got a 7 week old wirehaired pointing griff named Maple. She's a family dog, been here two days, loves to snuggle and is learning her new home 10 hours from her family. Was talking to a pheasant farm/bird reserve today about getting some wings and they suggested training beginning at 8-9 weeks. A couple hours or so on a Saturday or Sunday for 4 or 5 weeks should get her 80% trained for bird hunting?
Said I need a check cord and a whistle and could start this Saturday.
What say the folks in the know? Too early?
We'll learn check cord communication, hand signals, whistle commands, gun shot acceptance, and probably lots more.
Thanks

My best dog I have , hashad the opportunity to be a puppy for the first year , It what Delmar Smith call “Happy Timing “

In the book “The Best way To Train Your Bird Dog “ The Delmar Smith Method By Bill Tarrant is the approach think works best .

There is informal training going on while he is a pup and his formal yard work and training happen after a year old .

I am advocate for his process and he and his family’s wins in the Bird Dog world are impressive!!!

Training starts the minute you get the pup.
But more seriously a couple hours at 8-9 weeks is about 115 minutes to long! Socialize the pup by playing with it, letting it meet people (not other dogs till shots are done), going on short car rides etc. Basic obedience can be started, crate training etc.
Here is an article that has a lot of good info for what its worth

All covered in this training book: http://bcsetterpress.com/. It is a workbook. You work on 1 thing at a time and when a certain level is achieved you give the pup a check mark and move to the next chapter. I've used it for over 30 years.

Thanks all, going to just keep having fun with Maple and slowly introduce things. Appreciate the advice and looking forward to learning more from folks with significantly more experience than me.

I have DelMar method book (Tarrant - author) and the two Smith Bros. puppy videos. I have modified them for me based on what I have available around me. Britts are soft tempered dogs and they need the happy method.

Gatzby is correct socializing is key. Developing your relationship (as the alpha) is key too.

Get them in a vehicle and used to traveling regularly.

I use shot shell primer cap shells to introduce guns and gunfire. No need to buy the primer pistol.

Wing on a string has always worked for me

Whoa training is imperative - table or barrel not needed if you don't have one. I just walk down the road and whoa them ... they get it and I can walk around them calming saying whoa. We all get happy when released.

Many will disagree with me but exposure to lots of birds every day is not that big a deal through the summer if everything else falls into place.

My dogs have done well finding and pointing birds under one year of age. The last four have never seen a pigeon or a quail in a thrower.

There are pointing dog clubs out there. They can help with land access and even birds if that is of interest to you.

Pros have their place, but remember a pro that has say eight dogs ... means maybe 30 minutes twice a day max for your dog. I bet ya that it may actually be 15 - 20 minutes twice a day - especially during the heat of the summer.

Never used an e-collar / correctional collar although tempted if they like deer. Again the pros move through many dogs quickly and that tool serves them well.

I guess if I can do it ... anyone can ;)

Stuffed toy or tennis ball in the family room. Roll or throw ... most love to go get it and they bring it back to you. Take gently away and go again until they loose interest.

My dogs usually bring me a ball or stuffed toy when we return from leaving them.

Training starts the minute you get the pup.
But more seriously a couple hours at 8-9 weeks is about 115 minutes to long! Socialize the pup by playing with it, letting it meet people (not other dogs till shots are done), going on short car rides etc. Basic obedience can be started, crate training etc.
Here is an article that has a lot of good info for what its worth

Concur on all points.

I use mini paint rollers for puppy bumpers at that age. Take the pup in a narrow hallway with all the doors closed (or it will grab the mini bumper and take off with it). Snap a light check cord to it's collar Hold the pup and tease it a bit with the mini-bumper, toss it a couple feet, and let your pup go. It will instinctively run after the bumper and most likely pick it up. Call it & gently reel it in at the same time, then praise it up when it gets to you. Do this two times, then put the bumper up, don't let it chew on or play with it. Do it a couple times a day, only a couple tosses each time as you want to leave the pup wanting more. It will quickly catch on and learn that the bumper means it's time to play the retrieving game. This is where it all begins.

Pups don't have much when it comes to attention spans. No more than two training sessions a day, a couple minutes each. by 12 weeks we are at 5 minutes sessions until I start formal OB at 16 weeks. By then the pup's attention span should allow 10 minute sessions. By 12 months we are at two 20 minute session a day.

I highly recommend you buy the book 10 Minute Retriever by John & Amy Dahl. Read it cover to cover, then follow it as your pup grows. I have found it takes them nicely up through about 7-10 months...

Last edited:
So many thanks for all the advice and please keep them coming. I've not gone to a formal training, going to a NAVHDA puppy one tomorrow without the pup to watch and learn. Trying to have fun a lot, short walks, some training for a few minutes at a time, playing and lots of cuddle time. She's a lap dog for sure!!

So many thanks for all the advice and please keep them coming. I've not gone to a formal training, going to a NAVHDA puppy one tomorrow without the pup to watch and learn. Trying to have fun a lot, short walks, some training for a few minutes at a time, playing and lots of cuddle time. She's a lap dog for sure!!
Late to this thread but you're on the right track with a NAVHDA group. I have 2 bird dogs and both of them I worked with my local NAVHDA chapter and the training, and information I learned was a big help.

I can't speak for others but I've always had a hard time utilizing information from a training book. I'm more of a "show me once and I got it for the rest of my life".

Where are you located Jon? I just ask as I'm curious what NAVHDA chapter you're working with.

Late to this thread but you're on the right track with a NAVHDA group. I have 2 bird dogs and both of them I worked with my local NAVHDA chapter and the training, and information I learned was a big help.

I can't speak for others but I've always had a hard time utilizing information from a training book. I'm more of a "show me once and I got it for the rest of my life".

Where are you located Jon? I just ask as I'm curious what NAVHDA chapter you're working with.
I’m in Erie, CO. A little far from Ft. Collins where the RMC-Navhda is, but well worth the drive based on who I’ve met, talked to and learned from in their trainings. So many knowledgeable folks willing to answer plenty of questions! Jake, Sara, Candice have been super helpful this far and many other members!
Loving the investment they’re helping me make in our new Maple

Last edited:
Back