When to go?

USMC

Gents,

This is my story! Looking to go to Montana in either September or October. Going with a friend and looking for Huns/ Sharp Tails. We are thinking North East Montana. By the way if it makes a difference my hunting will be with a DD.:eek:

What week would you go?

What would the weather be like? Cool or hot?

Thanks in advance and if anyone wants to get together for a hunt there let me know!:cheers:

Went for the first time last year, think it was the 2nd week of Oct,
It was great, but the weather is always a gamble. Could be to hot or to cold, or just right:D

I know that it was killing me to wait until then when the season was open in September there.

September can be very hot for the grouse opener. If you wait until October, pheasant would be open too. I still go out in September, but my days usually get cut short as the temps start to rise. I usually go out early in the morning and am home by lunch when the mercury starts to rise. One nice thing is there are fewer people out early in the season.

Are the Huns and Sharp Tails bunched up by the second week of October?

Huns are in family groups of a dozen to sometimes 30-40 much the same as Sharptails. You might find singles in Sharptails not likely in Huns.

You could also hit some wet weather, then You have some real problems.

NE Montana

My friends who are avid sharptail hunters find the hunting for them much easier in sept. they sit for pointing dogs much better early vs late. Sept can be hot, so if you go then hunt like others mention first thing in the am, til 9 or 10 or when temps get dangerous.

be aware snakes will be migrating back to den sites thru out Sept. stay away from Rocky outcrops if you go then.

Btw, they can still be out in Oct too....

Sept 15th is about average for my Sept trip.
Sometimes a week earlier sometimes a bit later.
You probably will not come across much competition at that time.:thumbsup:

Most years it will be dry? Cool mornings, sunshine, mid 70's by early afternoon.
Can be weather extremes, like anytime.

It can still get pretty warm, but if you get out early in the morning it won't be bad. Like mnmthunting said, there won't be a lot of people out so having a field to yourself shouldn't be much of a problem.

When do you think it would be the ideal time to go?

1. Best chance of harvesting sharp tails and Huns
2. Good weather
3. Avoiding problems!:eek:

Thanks in advance,

I have had some excellent Sharptail hunting in Nov.
If You can get off the road a ways where the birds haven't been heavily hunted and out of the way places anytime during season is a good time.
Those Block Management areas and other popular areas are hit early and hard.
So go early.
Depends on Your plans. 15'th of Sept is a good time.

Don't think you have to hunt Sharptail or Huns near farming. The best bird hunting I know of is some big native shortgrass with brushy coulees where birds have never tasted grain.

Just changed my departure date to Oct 5 and plan on staying to the 12th. Plan on chasing some pheasants on that day also. Can't believe I am changing my dates because of work.....

Hope the hunting is still good during that time!

I'm headed out that way for the first time the third week of September. I like reading the tips on where to look for birds.

Not sure if you knew or not but pheasant doesn't open until Oct. 12. If you're just after grouse and huns, it may have cooled off enough by then to have an enjoyable hunt.

Thanks for the heads up but pheasants are not our first choice. Plan on hitting them on Saturday Oct 12 and perhaps extend our stay by a few days...

Really going for sharp tails, Huns and sage grouse:thumbsup:

See you there!:cheers:

Back