When it comes time to hand your guns down to others

That should help. I have struggled with this issue myself. I have seven sxs and my sons and grandsons don't care for sxs. One Grandson did shoot the little 20 I have when he was getting started. Shot his first duck and pheasant with it so may send it his way. The rest I will probably sell as I will need the $!!!! Rifles will go where they will as nothing fancy there.

Buck, I think there's a maturity that needs to occur for most before they begin to appreciate a gun of any kind, particularly, a SxS. I know if you would've told me at 30 that my favorite gun would be a 20 O/U. There's no way I would've believed you. Bigger, faster, more shots was important to me back then. Today, not so much. For the first time in my life, I've been seen in front of the SxS racks lately..

At 54 I hope to have a few hunting seasons left, but I've already assigned a few firearms to each of my kids, along with a short history on each one; when and where I purchased it, what I've hunted with it, and any memorable days spent in the field with it. Some of the guns don't mean a lot to me, others are very cherished, and I explain the difference in the note to my kids, letting them know which ones have sentimental value, and which they could sell without worrying about me rolling over in my grave.

I think, that while people are worried about what others will think of their guns, the easiest thing to do is explain what they mean. I know if my dad or father in law told me WHY I would be getting this gun and what it meant to them, I would cherish it tenfold. Instead of interrogating your heirs, teach and help them know how you feel.

One thing I have done with "special" long guns is to put a note in the stock with my name, a little background on me, the date I got the gun, where I lived, what I hunted, and once or twice--the name and breed of the bird dog I hunted with at the time.

With luck, some far-away day, a new owner will be changing recoil pads and come across the short history of the gun, maybe getting some sense of continuity.

Pleases me to imagine that future owner.

This is the best idea I've seen. I will be doing this without a doubt. Awesome!

My family on my side has a history of handing stuff down - pack rats I tell ya, the whole bloody lot of us!!!:D
I use several guns that were owned by my Grandfather and great Uncle.
One in particular is a Lefeachaux underlever that I refurbished and shot some birds with this year!:10sign:
My son has a treasure3d mid 1800's muzzle loader that was willed to him from my father, and my Westley Richards will go nowhere but over the mantle of my son's fireplace except for hunting days!
Here they are, they are all still hunted , and we have a pile of other guns as well, all family guns!:10sign:

David

Lot of character in that shotgun, David. How barrel-heavy?

Brass cartridges? How many re-loads can you get out of them?

You've got some neat toys. :)

These guns are all under 6 lbs. UIRC , the under lever being the lightest.
I run " brass and black" in virtually all my vintage guns , and the brass Mag Tech cases last basically forever!:)
They use a large pistol primer, and because the cases are thinner than plastic or paper, a wad size generally one gauge larger is used when loading them .
David

Love the heritage and tradition involved in your family guns!

Yup, it's great to look back at the guns in the vault and reminisce about times gone by!:)
I wanted to kill a deer this year with my great Uncle's .577 Snider but didn't get a chance to get out with it, that will have to wait until next year!:thumbsup:
David

I have no kids or sibling to leave my guns or equipment too. I've instructed my wife to sell them all except for my 16ga Citori. She's supposed to give that to one of my students who shoots in 4H.

The rest of my dog equipment, 4-hole trailer, dog box etc..... is supposed to go to V-John if he wants them.

Some great ideas on how to pass on some history with a firearm. I think it's neat to know some of the heritage of an older piece. I don't have a ton of guns, but I'm lucky my son has an interest in both bird hunting, and old shotguns. Because of him I've learned about Bernadellis and Model 24's. If you want to pass on a firearm with some history, maybe you can find a young hunter who shares your appreciation. Getting involved with PH may be a way to meet some younger hunters. I know a few here on the Iowa Forum are involved with High School trap teams. They may be able to help some lucky kid in your area. Or maybe a friend has an up and coming younger hunter to suggest. Passing on the history and appreciation of a favorite gun may really spark a life long passion in a new hunter!

I have a friend who just informed me that he would like me to take care of all his guns and his GSP's if something happens to him- medical stuff recently came back and it is causing him some concern.
He does not trust his son, and has no one else as close as myself , and my son who share his love for good dogs and pheasants.

He told me to keep what I wanted , and then sell the rest.:confused:
I basically told him to contact our lawyer Friend, Mr. Squinty and get something drawn up because a hand shake ain't good enough any more!!:cool:

As our lawyer friend remarked last year " where there is a will, there is a relative to contest it!"
I did tell him that I would give the money to his ex-wife, but not to worry if he thinks that the three W.W. Greeners, the Parker hammer double and the two W&C Scotts might end up as safe queens in somebody's collection- they will stay with me and get hunted for sure!!:thumbsup:
The thought of having to dispose of a bunch of guns again from an estate( I did my Dad's in 2001) is not a welcome thought.

The thing with my father however, was that he knew he was terminal , so he had time to get rid of danged near everything , so that there was minimal stuff to be taxed afterwards.
He told me to take whatever I wanted out of the collection and sell the rest and split it up, among my brothers and sister.
The only guns I kept were thee family heirlooms , and that was 40.
David

our lawyer Friend, Mr. Squinty
Having hired attorneys and always finding that Attorney J. Noble Daggett was booked up I have to say anyone going by the name, "Mr. Squinty" sounds like a perfect person to assure there is a minimal amount of monkey business in any inheritance.
get something drawn up because a hand shake ain't good enough any more!!
Unfortunately too true.
our lawyer friend remarked last year " where there is a will, there is a relative to contest it!"
Also unfortunately too true. My aunts family is putting a number of attorneys children through Harvard because they can't be reasonable.
I did tell him that I would give the money to his ex-wife,
That's just being mean. Funny but mean.

DT, most people don't have the unique machines you have. That makes it tougher but it sounds like you're on top of it.

... Grandpa died on the prairies of South Dakota hunting. He shot a big mulie, tried to loaded it by himself and was found in the back of the truck where he was called home, his summer was over...

Not to sound morbid on the situation or make light of it but I dont know if I could think of a better way to go so long as it was quick. Wouldnt be nice for the family to find you but passing while doing what you love...not many people get that luxury.

:cheers:

Well, to be honest, his ex- wife and he made an amicable split, and he has no issue with her receiving any extra cash- it's not like he refers to her as
"that woman" or " the dragon lady":D

He has quite a number of expensive modern rifles as well, and being a south paw , they will not be a hard sell, it's not something I want to do however, but will.
After all, if I'm selling them , it means he has gone to see his past hunting dogs and buddies!!:(

Regarding Mr. Squinty ( his avatar is Mr. Magoo on the internet sites!:D)
Who else better to have as a lawyer than a gun nut??!!:cheers:
Three detached retinas has not slowed him down as far as messing around with them, but don't give him a shotgun and expect him to hit anything !!:laugh:
He specializes in criminal law regarding firearms, but is on permanent retainer with our local gun club, and does a lot of "extra" work for his closer gun nut friends!:)

I have another friend who is terminal, and he has asked another friend and I to sell off his guns for him ( he has already given his nephew all the guns he wants to) and this one is going to be a tough one.
This articular friend took care of my kids when they were young my wife and I travelled form out of town business, we hunted together, wildcatted rifles swapped guns ( That is actually where my cherished Westley Richards came from in a trade!)
It is also something neither myself nor my other buddy wish to do, but it has to be done, and at least our terminal friend is still around to direct prices, etc.
Disposing of a friend's personal treasures is tough , for sure.

As far as your comment goes KsHusker, about going out doing what you love, I have to agree.
I have known people who have passed to quieter ranges while sheep hunting , hunting moose, etc, and they always said that is the way they wanted to depart.
David

Last edited:
He specializes in criminal law regarding forearms,

I'm surprised there's enough litigation in that field to pay the bills.
Typos remind me of my bad hearing and what people say as opposed to what I hear. I had a fairly long discussion with a friend in the duck blind yesterday about an obscure actress named Nancy Hopkins until he yelled "ANTHONY HOPKINS" in my face.:cheers:

I'm surprised there's enough litigation in that field to pay the bills.
Typos remind me of my bad hearing and what people say as opposed to what I hear. I had a fairly long discussion with a friend in the duck blind yesterday about an obscure actress named Nancy Hopkins until he yelled "ANTHONY HOPKINS" in my face.:cheers:
:laugh:
Man that's funny! Ya gotta love auto correct!!:cool:
David

Back