When is the best time to hunt quail?

although very limiting, during the season

We have hunted them from 9am clear thru 4pm but I learned from a biologist that it is not a good idea to break them up to late in the day as they need the covey to band together and stay warm so if you break them up to late in the day they may not get back together before nightfall. So to answer the question we have shot them all thru the day.

In eastern Oregon the best time to hunt California quail is in January when it is below 10 degrees. Those little buggers covey up in larger coveys than early in the year and the shooting/adrenalin keeps you warm.

Where I come from the worst time was 12-2 afternoon. The best time was always an hour before to dark. That's when they are moving to roosting areas. It's a sin to hunt them in the evening if the weather is very cold or snow. As for me it wouldn't have mattered. The dozers and track hoes killed more in a single summer than I did my whole life! In the mid 90's I averaged 98 for 6 years straight. Last year I killed 4.

Depends on the species, late morning for Mountain Quail (Western Nevada late season) , catch them when they come down to water (much like Chukar). Gambels here in the Southern Nevada desert, mid-morning after they feed before it warms up midday, Valley Quail, seems to have the longest active window, morning thru late afternoon (Idaho hunting) As a kid in Michigan used to get Bobwhites when you could find them...I try to leave any of the birds late in the day when Winter sets in, let them re-covey for their nightly roost. Never could find Mearns in Southern New Mexico..

Back