When do you bundle up bird dogs?

A couple years ago I went to an Ryman Setter after my Lab passed on. I love to hunt late season, sometimes single digits and wind. This was no problem with my Labrador, but Sally is a whole lot thinner of body and coat.

When we are in teh elements we are moving- no standing still to get cold. But I still have to wonder- at what point do you guys help the dog out with a neoprene vest? Or do something else? And with a lighter dog like that, what tips you off that they've hit their limit temperaturewise?

It was a lot easier telling when the Lab was hot then when the Setter is cold...

I can always tell when they're doing the "hot sand dance" and can't keep their paws down anymore as one sign. I haven't been found many other ways than that so i'm watching this thread. I've heard neoprene can rub the dog if not fit properly or cut to fit.

a well fed dog (the night before) has all the energy needed to keep warm while running the fields.....just make sure you keep the wind off the pup when driving from field to field....there may be exceptions, put on the vest and go!

I've run Brittanys up here in SD for 25 years. I'm sure they don't have any heavier coat than your setters. Hunted in some really cold nasty weather. I've never had more than a thin dog vest on them and have never seen one get cold as long as they are moving. I think they generate enough heat as they run the fields and truck through the snow. Like someone else said, feed them well the night before. I always up the ration in cold weather.

Caloric intake. i.e fueling the hunting engine

A dogs caloric intake needs to be increased when hunting vs off season. A dogs caloric intake needs to be increased for cold weather. Compound this by hunting them in cold weather and it's time to open the feed bag for them. My dogs get approx. double ration compared to off season for warm weather (early season) hunting. When I hunt them in cold weather late season hunts they may get as much as 3x normal rations. None of my dogs are the least bit fat either.
You experienced "dog keepers" can tell with a daily glance if your dog/s need a little more or less fuel by checking their "shape". I am of course referring to maybe 3x the rations for actual days hunted, not just because they are along for the trip.....

PC110145.jpg

Last edited:
For upland, I prefer nothing and as my dogs age they seem to like 10F much better than anything over 50F.

If I put something on them it is usually for visibility (deer season) or to protect injuries from further trauma.

If I am asking my Britts to hunt waterfowl, then a camo neoprene vests seems to work well.

Then:

Now (still working at 10):

Back