Wheat Harvest complete

Talked to my dad yesterday and he said they've been done with wheat harvest for a week now. He said the chicks are pretty big already. Hopefully some of them evaded the combine! Sounds like he's seeing decent numbers out there, but I'll see for myself the first week of August as I'm heading to Garden City for some training. I'll provide a report upon my return. I should have an evening or 2 of checking the same spots I've checked for about 10 years now at the same time of year.

Anyone else have any reports from the farmers or first hand accounts of hatch success in KS this year?

I never saw a spring crowing count. I would have thought Game Dept. would have released that by now.

Has anybody seen this yet this year?

Lefty

Pheasants were up 3% and quail 28% statewide. Several regions were up significantly, some down. I don't have it in front of me or I would quote numbers for you Lefty. That index only tells you what potential the population has to increase, not what the increase will be. Weather during the hatching and brood rearing period as well as agricultural operations will determine what the actual population result is. We start the summer brood counts next week so more information will be available in a couple of months.

Lefty,

I spent the past week at boiler training in Garden City KS. I drove the backroads each evening and saw decent numbers of chicks. I suspect there are usually more birds in the area, but there are definately enough for some good hunts. There are some decent WIHA tracts NE of Garden City. Big grass in the middle of what seems to be never-ending crop fields. They are sure to provide some good opportunities for hunters this year. I saw chicks of every size. Some of the roosters had good color but hadn't got their tailfeathers yet. There were some younger birds that I couldn't distinguish sex on, but they were old enough to fly. Then there were some that couldn't even get off the ground. I had a lot of fun chasing them down on foot to get some pictures ;) I'll post pics when I get them off of the camera.

All in all it was a great trip. I met a new friend that happened to be stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. I pulled over to help and noticed he was missing an arm when I got up to the vehicle. He is from Michigan and kept telling me he couldn't believe how nice people in KS were. He insisted I leave him my address so he could send money. I just laughed....he had no idea that I was actually happy that the lord gave me the opportunity to assist someone in need. I guess not all places are like home. I can't imagine living in a place where nobody stops to help those in need!!!! God bless the midwest and country folks everywhere!!!!

Last edited:
i always try to help someone in need. i like giving my time to help habitait for humanity. i'm an electrican and any time i can help someone i will. and i think we do need more people like that. this world would be alot better.

Back