What type of cover to hunt in first 2 weeks?

EddiefromOhio

Whats your cover preference in the first 2 weeks of the hunting season? Is there enough success to suggest it for a self guided group which is made up of guys with very different experience levels?
Reason being is some friends of mine have seen some of the videos posted in these forums and said they want to go. We are heading to North Dakota for a week at the end of October.
One buddy is a former marine and the other is match shooter so they understand the need for safe gun handling, but I do worry that we travel 21 hrs away and dont find the birds.

1 weim. 4 guys maybe 5 waiting to know for certain.

One Dog and 4 to 5 guys.

The dog has a great nose but as with most weimeraners he gets hard headed. Also he is untested with wild birds. About 90% of all birds in ohio are pen raised and released by the Ohio DNR. Of those mortality is nearly 100%. First hunters, then coyote, and fox get the rest.
The only action Cinder sees are a couple days following the release at the State Grounds.
As for habitat there we beat them up out of 4ft. tall briar patches and trampled weeds. Realisticly the birds do not even have time to seek out water or feeding areas. They get shot at the morning of release.

Very depressing but its the truth of our situation.

Make sure that You guys and Your dog are in good shape.
I think having one dog only, may be a problem?
End of Oct is not a bad time to do ND. If you can schedule your trip for mid week to avoid the weekend crowd.:thumbsup:

Get the Public land and WMA's maps. There will be pheasants. Cover will be rows of brush/trees with grassy areas between. Ponds with a lot of cattails in areas. Creeks and coulees with brushy Riparian banks, Coulees with Chockcherry, Snowberry Wild Rose etc. There are grasslands to.

You guys work at it, You''ll find birds. :cheers:

If it were me, I would hook up with someone who is, or has been there. You are traveling too far to chance it. The landscape and bird pops can change drastically from year to year, week to week...not to mention the weather. Get on the build a hunting group section of this forum and start there.
As for the dog, you need more than one for more than 2 guys in a wild bird situation...period! With 4 - 5 guys hunting, you'd be lucky if 1 dog lasted 2 days. Temperatures can be pretty warm yet in October, the cover is still thick and harder to work. With 1 dog, all your eggs are in 1 basket(Easter is next week), and there are way too many things that can happen that put him on the sidelines! Barbwire, heat stroke, snakes, porcupines, skunks, etc. Then you either stop hunting, or go without a dog(no fun!). Remember, you are traveling 21 hours. Also be prepared to deal with situations, have a first aid kit, and know where the closest vet is located.
3 of us went to South Dakota last year, 3 dogs(2 were mine) and we hunted for a week, Sunday to Saturday. We were able to rotate dogs, yet all the dogs were pretty tired(beat up) towards the end of the week. No bird is worth jeopordizing the health of your dog! I love mine too much! Me and my dogs stayed back at camp Friday and took a day off. Believe it or not, it was quite enjoyable to sit around and rest. We saw a hawk nab a hen mid-air, went for an afternoon stroll and kicked up two nice bucks, and rode around with the park ranger for an hour(you can really learn a lot from them).
For what it is worth, I think it is great that you are here asking questions planning this far in advance, wish you all the best.
Also visit the state sites, North Dakota for example, on this forum and scroll through the previous posts that peak your interest. Might be surprised at how many of you questions may have already been answered...not to mention the valuable insight of the locals.

Last edited:
Dog purchase

Your information has sprung me into action, I popped on a akc cocker spaniel, its a gorgeous dog and I have a family link to a trainer that specializes in flushing dogs!!! thanks for clearing it up !!!!:thumbsup:

Your information has sprung me into action, I popped on a akc cocker spaniel, its a gorgeous dog and I have a family link to a trainer that specializes in flushing dogs!!! thanks for clearing it up !!!!:thumbsup:
This is what this forum is about, helping people with genuine questions, and offering insight. Don't think any of us know it all, but between us, you can gleen enough to make an educated evaluation.
Congrats on the new addition!

Back