What to say

pheasantaddict

Many hunters may find themselves in a situation where a dog is being overcorrected or abused. It can happen in the field, a neighbor's back yard, or at some trial. What are some good ways to approach and diffuse the situation and educate the person while keeping a level head even though your at your boiling point?

If this is going on at a trial the judge or feild Marshall should step up. But if not do what ever you think is right for that moment. No one should be abusing dogs and it is are responsablity to stick up for those who can not do it for themself..

Many hunters may find themselves in a situation where a dog is being overcorrected or abused. It can happen in the field, a neighbor's back yard, or at some trial. What are some good ways to approach and diffuse the situation and educate the person while keeping a level head even though your at your boiling point?

I go with your gut there really is no easy way to be polite and say something to that person. My expectations is that they will always take it wrong, because I have said something to people about the overcorrecting and abuse, I seen it too many times in the field and on the water I have never seen a pro trainner or handler over correct and abuse a dog it's always been the dumba$$ who goes out and spends 1000 to 1500 for a dog and expect it to perform like a dog with trainning, I have almost come to fists with people like that becauses it pisses me off to no end to see this type of attitude towards dogs :mad:

Very tricky. Personally, there is only one person I have ever hunting with who I felt was unnecessarily heavy-handed. I never accepted an invite again, and now he's stopped asking. I guess I took the easy way out - just couldn't see a fit way to tell another (much older and much more experienced) trainer/owner how to treat his dogs...
-Croc

If I am hunting with the hunter/trainer. Then I know that person. I tell them in 90% of the cases it is his fault the dog is doing what it did. If the person would take more time and work with the dog more. It most likely would do everything pretty close to right. This idea of leaving them in Kennel for 6 months. Then expecting the dog to act perfect. Is a the owners fault.---Bob

dont get me wrong here guys. i agree with you 110% and i would never lay my hand my dog or any dog for that matter, but with some dogs you do have to over correct to an extent. not so much as hitting them with the e-collar but being verbal and stern with the dog. i know with one of my gsp's, he is the most bull headed dog i've ever owned i have to raise my voice to him when i gets to that level but i've never put my hands on him and never will.

I agree with you GSP4. Tony all I have to do is scold good and proper. With a light tap of 1 finger on his nose and he goes away sulking like I hit him with a club. I only laid the e-collar to him just 1 time. He was chasing a deer which is a big no-no with me and the law. I don't know what number he got hit with, but it was high. He sees a deer now he comes to me for protection from the deer and just watches them run away.---Bob

I almost always hunt with people I know well enough to say "that was maybe a little harsh." If I do not know them that well it is a tuff call. Maybe try complementing their dog to take some heat off.

The other question this begs is what do you do when the person you are hunting with has a dog that is being a pain in the butt. Running wild, chewing up birds ect? Do you say anything?

I believe in the," DO YOU WANT YOUR DOG TAKEN AWAY AS%^&$#E!" aproach, because if you hit that dog one more time, It's straight to jail AS#%#$@e. If that don't work just simply call the powers that be and turn them in...... If you know them, smack them on the back of the head and say how does it feel and give them there 1st & last warning to never do it again. This happens out of frustrations of a young dog not performing like old jake did allot and the guy needs to give the dog his or hers own time to mature, every dog is different. I always say it's not the dog that needs training, it's the handler. In trials he would be tossed.....

dont get me wrong here guys. i agree with you 110% and i would never lay my hand my dog or any dog for that matter, but with some dogs you do have to over correct to an extent. not so much as hitting them with the e-collar but being verbal and stern with the dog. i know with one of my gsp's, he is the most bull headed dog i've ever owned i have to raise my voice to him when i gets to that level but i've never put my hands on him and never will.

I agree 100%, some dogs are so hard headed they need a stern approach. No doubt. There are so many different personalitys out there. And I don't even have a problem with a slap or two or an ear pinch or somthig when it's needed with the right dog. You have to be able to read the dog and determin how soft it is. I have one here that all you do is look at her funny and she thinks she's gona get her hiny kicked and I have never layed a hand on her. But we all are pretty good judges of when someone goes too far and something should be said. Hope things work out.

Back